21

Tell me why I don't forgot Artemis's brothers name.

I named him Angelo, and I'm over here calling him Zion. Where did that even come from?

Smh.

And y'all just let me do it in the last chapter.

Imma start doing what I do with Out of Touch and quote song lyrics and linking the songs in the media.

The song lyrics I choose usually match the vibe/ feel of the chapter.
______

"Yeah, I might be breathing just like just like everybody else but I still don't feel alive."
----Phora

Omniscient
Same Day
Later that evening

It was time for the final event of the meet.

The 4x400.

An event everyone loved.

Xero was the first leg because he could get them off to a quick start and for Xero it never matters what lane he's in. Paris was second leg because he could maintain the place they were in. Micah was third because he could help catch up IF they needed to. Artemis was the anchor because he always finished strong. The last 50 meters is where a lot of people start to die out but not Artemis.

Running the 400 is always a very calculated run. If you run with everything you have from the very beginning, when it comes down to the last 100 meter, 50 meters if you're lucky you will run out of energy and slow down, causing people behind you to pass you. It's all about running smart.

"What lane we starting in?" Paris asked Xero.

"7." He replied.

Micah twisted his lips. "That's fine I guess. What you think?"  He asked Artemis.

Artemis shrugged. "We don't have to run in the lane. The only person who has to run in it is Xero."

"And you know whatever lane, it don't matter.  Never a problem for me."

"Yo' ass wouldn't be saying that if you had lane 1."

Xero shrugged. "These niggas not faster than me on the opening leg."

"That's the confidence we need." Micah patted his shoulder. "Let's go line up for Coach start notching at us."

"Is our B team running?" Paris asked.

"Yeah." Micah said. "Asher, Prince, Caleb and Toni." He replied. "We in heat 1. They in heat 2."

"They good." Xero said. "Not faster than us though. They'll get there one day."

"Nigga shut up." Paris shook his head.

"Aight. Forreal though. Let's go."

____

"Back just in time." Payne said as he sat back down on the bleachers. "They got the starting blocks out."

"Looks like they're on lane 7." Artemis's mom said. "Z, get  your phone ready."

Zion stood up, taking his phone out.

Zen smiled as she looked attentively onto the track.

"Runners take your mark!" The announcer said.

"Come on X." Payne mumbled.

All the first legs from the different schools made their way onto the track, standing in front of their starting blocks. Some runners stretched their limbs while others jumped up and down, loosening their limbs.