Chapter Two

╔══ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══╗

Nom Wah Tea Parlor; 8:10 PM

The wonderful scent of Pork Siu Mai filled the house, families, and lovers of all races and ethnicities occupied the red, brown, and white booths and tables, the lighting was dim, and traditional Chinese music played from speakers placed high on the tan-colored walls.

A gorgeous petite woman with black long silky hair secured into a low bun and porcelain skin greeted us and set us at a circular table with five chairs behind a huge window, plants of various shapes and sizes perched along the glass, including a statue of a Golden Pig.

"Wow, this place is beautiful; we should come more often." While taking off her coat, Mom glanced about in awe. She was placed opposite from me, Dad was seated between us, and May was positioned to my right, with an empty chair in between us for Peter.

"Yeah, plus they have a 4.3 rating online and the pricing is amazing," Dad continued, now reading the menu provided by the waitress.

Nom Wah Tea Parlor first opened its doors in 1920 as a bakery and tea parlor. For the majority of the twentieth century, Nom Wah was a neighborhood staple, serving fresh Chinese pastries, steamed buns, dim sum, and tea.

"I'd take this over Club Mirth any day," I mumbled quietly to myself as I picked up a menu and flipped to the Chef's specials section.

Club Mirth is an 18+ nightclub in the center of New York that is extremely popular among young adults and teens that are up to no good. That's where the majority of my "friends" or, should I say, acquaintances, are.

Everyone was placed into this group chat the night before graduation, and they made arrangements to rent out VIP, and everyone who wanted to join could, but they had to have their own money and a ride.

I'm not gonna lie, It seemed promising at first; I could go do teenage things and feel like a true adolescent, something I haven't felt since the day I turned 13. However Peter didn't think it was a good idea, so we decided not to go.

"The pork chops with salt and pepper look delicious, but so does the turnip cake with xo sauce... I'm so conflicted!" May whined, her glasses positioned at the tip of her nose and a large scowl on her lips.

"Get the turnip cake with xo sauce, aunt May, you know what too much salt does to your blood pressure," Peter said as he approached our table and sat next to me, placing his jacket to hang over his chair.

"Oh dang it, I forgot about that..." May snapped her fingers in defeat, and Peter smiled gently before turning to face me.

"Hey Charles and Michelle," he greeted my parents before kissing my cheek softly.

"Hey Peter! Here's your menu" My mother smiled and picked it up off the table before reaching out her arm to Peter, who took it and thanked her.

"Do you know what you're getting, bebe?" Peter said, his voice low enough for only me to hear and his arm resting on the back of my chair, his thumb massaging little circles into my arm.

"The steamed bean curd skin roll and Roasted Anxi Tie Guanyin," I responded, sighing and returning the menu to its original location.

At that moment, the same waitress from earlier approached us, holding a pen and a notebook.

"My name is Tara, and I'll be looking after you today at Nom Wah Tea Parlor. Can I start you on some refreshments?" Her warm demeanor and bright eyes could immediately put anybody at ease.