Chapter 2

Through a stroke of dumb luck, they've actually made it. And the journey was more than worth it, the village was far more gorgeous than they could have imagined. Bright colors, ever-lasting smiles, and a whole lot of lively movement aided the already impressive architecture and botanic design.

And, of course, everybody knew each other. Y/n's lips curled upwards, in the city you couldn't achieve an atmosphere like this. While the lights back home were undeniably stunning, the inhabitants always looked so gloomy... "And this is the local confectionery." Maribel pointed to a quaint building. "It doubles as a tavern, the owners are pretty multi-faceted."

"Are they called Julia and James by chance? They're the people we're supposed to stay with." Saike glanced at the siblings, then ahead at the cake shop with a determined expression. "Yeah! I'm sure you'll love it here, people always do their best to look after each other. Especially Julia, her chocolate cakes are just-" "not better than mine." Camilo spoke up, he'd been pretty absent throughout the walk as he was busy entertaining children and animals along the way. In fact, Honey, Saike's dog, was still sitting on his head.

"Totally, yeah, mhm." Maribel grinned, the last time Camilo had tried to bake a cake he managed to fling flour into Abuela's face. "You're just jealous." He rolled his eyes and diverted his attention back to the students. "So, that's our Encanto!" "Hmm, it's pretty, dare I say? Pathetic, considering people call it an earthly utopia..." Moon-Soo spoke condescendingly, grinning at the two. Y/n glared, signaling him to behave, he always had a strange way of interacting with strangers, but being outright mean was new territory.

"Don't mind him, he's a little dumb sometimes...we should thank you for the tour! And the maybe slightly weird welcome." Before Camilo could bite back, Mirabel jumped to the rescue. "Aw, no need, it's our job as the Madrigals to help everyone around here! We live just downtown, don't be afraid to visit." Accepting her unofficial good-bye, Honey jumped off Camilo's head and the trio moved through the small gate, separating them from their soon-to-be home.

Seeing as they were alone, Y/n took out their phone. They knew one of the Madrigals had uncanny hearing, they couldn't afford to be exposed, so they would have to communicate via their notebooks once their phones die. After all, Encanto was still pretty cut off from modern technology.

"What the hell was that about?" Y/n turned to face her research partner, but before he could type an answer Saike defended him. "Y/n, please, you're being soft. We're here to analyze them, putting them in stressful situations is a logical approach." They were stunned for a moment, Saike, the girl who cries because of every Disney movie and physically can't read books where children get hurt, could be cruel?

"You deserve each other..." they sighed. "Well, the 'Madrigals' don't seem like anything special anyway, they're just like the rest of us," both Moon-Soo and Saike specialized in psychology whereas Y/n leaned more towards biology, it's natural for them to want to test their minds in connection to their abilities, but was bullying really necessary?

"Oh shush, you've only just met them, besides you saw what that Camilo boy did," Saike shut him down, as her snow-white dog seemingly sneered at him. Moon-Soo put his phone away and picked up his own puppy which looked pretty funny as the pet was as tall as a three-year-old standing. "You're the only one who understands me, Popcorn..."

Speaking of the dogs. "We should go to the pet shop after dropping off our bags," Y/n muttered. "Oh yay! I can buy Honey some treats. You'd love something new, wouldn't you? I heard everything here is homemade!" Saike cooed at the white ball of fluff. "Nah, you've spent all our funds on dog toys before; you're staying home." "Both of you can't be trusted with money, no need to pretend." Y/n grinned. "Besides don't you have like plans to set up?"