Chapter 1

Crackling leaves and warm sunshine decorated the wide forest as a small trio of students and two dogs made their way through the blaze of earthy colors, the destination they sought had to be nearby as even their surroundings held an extraordinary ambiance; Y/n sighed anxiety swirling in their stomach.

Their eyes wandered to Saike and Moon-Soo; two prodigies attending their respective gifted classes, back at their high school. Once they requested to go on a trip to Encanto they were quickly approved by the faculty, based on the notion that they would bring progress, and as Y/n was one of Saike's best friends, she quickly invited them to join the investigation team.

Y/n, too, was undeniably interested in biology and sociology, so they agreed but were beginning to regret it more and more. From what Saike had told them the family under 'examination' wasn't fond of the idea of scientists overrunning their home which is part of the reason they had stayed hidden for so long. It was their specific request to not be approached, but Saike and Moon-Soo were as stubborn as a starving bull...and Y/n would be lying if they said they weren't just as curious but disregarding consent might have been a bad idea.

"Why the sour expression?" Moon-Soo spoke up, effectively ending their train of conflict. "Didn't you already ask like a minute ago?" "Maybe I was just hoping you'd come to your senses." He gave them a shit-eating grin. "Oh, shush," Saike interrupted him with a soft clap to the arm.

"Don't be afraid, Y/n, we'll be careful...and we're not even doing something bad here, right? We just want to learn about and enhance these 'gifts', for the benefit of everybody! I'm sure in the end, they'll even thank us." Faced with her innocent excitement and their own shifting ambitions, it was hard to keep arguing.

"Yeah, yeah...the village can't be far away anymore, can it?" They tried to readjust their thoughts. "According to this, it should be hidden beyond the pathway...if we want any chance of arriving before sundown, we might have to separate...but look at me. Look at me!" He leaned over. "Do not stray too far away!" "Yeah, be sure to leave markings on the trees, just in case," Saike added, much to their dismay,

"Relax, I'll be more careful this time." Unconvinced, the couple gave them a concerned glance. Y/n was notorious for their bad orientation-sense, since managing to get lost in a museum for around an hour. The teacher had to go back to collect them after the entire class had gone home already. And they were the only one who didn't bring a dog. "Oh, I don't know, maybe we should stick together, after all..."

"No, no, it's alright, finding the village is top priority!" Feeling a little attacked, Y/n dodged her offer. It seemed that was enough to at least convince Moon-Soo, as he urged Saike to pick up the pace. Soon, they reached the end of a designated pathing, marked by a wooden sign.

'Encanto up ahead.
Or not.
Good luck."

Isn't that just hilarious? Y/n and Moon-Soo exchanged disapproving glances, as Saike laughed as though she was about to pop a vein. Between stifled grunts, she took out her phone, her deep brown hair falling into her face. "Let's meet up again in twenty minutes." Y/n nodded blankly, scanning her surroundings.

By now the trees had grown unnaturally tall, coating the ground and smaller sprouts below in a cool shadow, only a few rays of light broke through the treetops seemingly forming a line among the plant life, creating a strange image. "See you in twenty."

Y/n slipped past two large stumps, entranced by the mystical beauty pulling her further right. The flora grew progressively dense, despite the strange luminescence only growing stronger. They walked and walked for what seemed like an eternity, alone with their thoughts and ever-strengthening paranoia...had twenty minutes passed? They weren't sure, nor were they focused enough to check. Going just a bit further would be okay.