Chapter Twenty

Just as Bruno was pulling the dress over his head, they heard footsteps in the hallway. Both of them stiffened for a moment and only thawed when there was a knock at the door: "Lucia? Are you still awake?" it was Adella!

"Damn," Bruno whispered, standing half-naked in Lucia's room. "This is going to be hard to explain now."

"Not if we don't," Lucia pushed Bruno onto the bed and threw her blanket over him. "Yeah, wait! I'll put something on!" he heard her pick something up off the floor - probably a dressing gown - and put it on. "Come in!"

"Lucia, I just wanted to talk to you for a minute," the door opened, Adella came in. "About earlier."

"Could we maybe put it off until tomorrow?" asked Lucia as she sat down on the bed, so did Bruno, who covered his mouth so as not to make a sound. "I'm exhausted."

"Well, it's late." it sounded like Adella was leaving. "Good night, Lucia."

"Good night," the door squeaked but didn't fall shut, because at the last second Adella let her gaze wander around the room again, until it finally fell on Bruno's clothes, still lying on the floor.

"What's that?" she asked suspiciously.

"What?" Lucia followed her gaze. "Oh - that," she swallowed. "Um - those are Bruno's clothes".

"What are they doing here?"

She laughed nervously. "Funny story ... have you already forgotten that I came home in trousers and shirt a few days ago?"

"No you haven't," Adella may be older, but her memory was not at all. "You slept at the Madrigals'. In a bed with Bruno."

"Oh."

"Yes. Where is he?"

"Where's who?" Lucia played the innocent slammer card.

"Bruno, Lucia. Don't take me for a fool"

"He's probably at his place sleeping - although he's more of a night owl, so he's still awake. Maybe he's teaching his rats tricks or something."

Adella's footsteps crossed the room to the wardrobe. She opened it and poked her head inside, examining. When she was convinced there was nothing but clothes inside, she closed it again, but she wasn't done searching.

Next, she went to the bed, Bruno thought his heart stopped.

Fortunately for him, however, she bent down and looked under the bed. "Why is there a rope under your bed?"

"I'm practising sailor's knots," Lucia promptly lied. "Fascinating skill. If you want, I can teach you some ... the figure-eight knot, the bowline, the stopper hitch ..."

"Alright," she came back up. "Bruno isn't here - at least I hope not for your sake, young lady. You have no idea what you'd be facing otherwise."

"I know. A Wedding and marriage here in Encanto, which would kill my theatre career ... blah blah blah ..." said Lucia. "You know, this was a good talk, but I'm done and I want to sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow, okay?"

Adella sighed and Bruno heard her walk back to the door. "All right. Good night."

"Good night." this time the door did slam shut. They paused for a few more seconds and then Lucia immediately slid off the bed and Bruno emerged from under the covers. "That was close," he said.

"Yes, and we have a big problem".

"What?"

"You can't get out the front door now," Lucia looked at the door. "Adella is still suspicious. She'll stay awake for quite a while to make sure I'm alone in my room."