Chapter 12

Chapter 12

He was floundering for words, flooded with a long-missed warmth, and failing to keep his heart silent.

Gods, he loved her.

He gave a short laugh, shaking his head and shrugging. "I didn't think you'd come. I..." She met his gaze finally. "Gods, you're beautiful." He muttered. Her lip twitched but she bit the smile back before it could show. "I don't really know what to say, I'm sorry."

Shifting, Sigyn lifted her chin. "I do. I want nothing to do with you. You've hurt me at every turn, betrayed my trust, sold me against my very rights-"

"No, I didn't!" He held his hands out. "I swear to you, we've both been deceived and for far too long I've left the matter alone."

"Oh yes, we've been deceived." She scoffed. "You by your father-"

"Yes!"

"-led to believe that you did the right thing. And I by you, led to believe that you actually loved me!"

"Sigyn, wait."

"No! And then, you go off with this mistress of yours and have three, three children! Monsters for children but knowing you, you're not ashamed of that in the least. You have no sense of shame, do you?" She ignored the way his desperate look faded and his expression shuttered closed. His eyes grew cold, his hands clenched as his back straightened slowly. But she continued, borne along by the hurt that had lain deep for seven years.

"And then, as if you hadn't had enough shame on your name or family, you went after a horse. A horse! What in Odin's name twisted your mind enough to do something so disgusting? But all that simply wasn't enough. You're a glutton for punishment. You know very well why I hate you and yet here you come thinking you can win me over again. If you are so desperate for a bedmate then seek out your mistress again."

"The key word there is mistress. I do not want anything more to do with her."

"Then be silent and remain alone! I want nothing to do with a man I can't trust and definitely not one who cannot be ashamed of his actions."

"Ashamed?!" He growled. "I have nothing to be ashamed of."

"No? Your children are bastard wards of the crown! They're monsters, do you not feel a sliver of embarrassment over what you've made?"

Loki's faced flushed as he stepped in close, towering over Sigyn. "My children are not monsters. My middle son is the only one who has chosen his form and I do not scold him for it, for he keeps to himself and bothers no one. My daughter was born sickly and daily hides herself for fear of people's hatred. She is ashamed of her appearance when she could not help it, no one could. Even Eir could not help her. And my youngest is the kindest creature on all of Asgard. He cannot help what he is no more than I could help how he was conceived. I would ask that you kindly keep silent on the matter of my children as you do not know the pain we have endured."

"Your spawn are animals." She snarled. She flinched as his hand rose suddenly, poised to backhand her.

"Papa?"

They froze. Loki lowered his hand and stepped around Sigyn. A little girl stood in the doorway, a black cowl hiding her tiny face. Smiling brightly, Loki bent and lifted her into his hip.

"Come here, little one! Did you have a good nap? Shall we go see to your brothers?"

She nodded slowly, her head turning to face Sigyn but no eyes could be seen watching. Sigyn looked away. "Hullo." The girl said hesitantly.