Mans night out/Gangs night in

Félix was excited. He and Agustin sat at the table in the kitchen, discussing their "man's night out." They haven't had a proper one since Bruno had come back. With building Casita back up and trying to integrate Bruno back into the family they just did not have time for it.

"I am telling you Agustín," Félix beamed, "this will be the best one yet. And we don't even have to take Camilo this time."

The last time Camilo had begged them to take him with them. It felt more like babysitting than a relaxed night out. Especially when Agustín and Félix were distracted for a mere second. Camilo had taken that chance and had gulped down the rest of Agustín's drink. No one knew if he really was drunk or if he just acted like it, but it had been a stressful situation, nonetheless.

Pepa had screamed at them for hours on end how they could let it happen. Not even Félix soft words and little caresses had helped calm her. Camilo got grounded for a week.

"Yes, it will. But I hope there won't be any bees this time. That was really un-bee-lievable. Ha!"

Agustín started laughing at his own joke and Félix joined in. He was the only one who really genuinely liked Agustín's dad jokes. And Agustín loved his in return.

Suddenly Bruno walked into the room. He had no shoes on, not even his sandals and was wearing his hood over his head. Agustín and Félix knew that that was not a good sign. He only ever did this when he was anxious and overwhelmed. But what could have upset him this much? He grabbed one of the leftover arepas, not even acknowledging the two men.

"Are you okay," Félix asked, "Bruno or Hernando?" you could never be sure. Sometimes he liked Hernando better, just because Bruno seemed a bit more confident and relaxed when he slipped into that role.

Bruno sighed. It came out as a broken sob.

"I am not Hernando. And I am scared." He paused for a second, looking up underneath his hood. Then he turned to go with a sad little: "Bye."

Agustín and Félix looked at each other. This was definitely not the normal amount of sadness and anxiety Bruno always portrayed throughout the day. They had to find out, what or - more likely - who had done this to him. Quickly Agustín ran after him. Félix followed a few steps behind.

"Bruno waits!"

Bruno did stop. However, he did not turn towards Agustín. He just stood there, like a scared rat, waiting to be eaten.

"What happened? It's okay you can tell us. I promise you we wont judge."

"Yeah. We're your Bro's, hermano!" Félix agreed, throwing an arm over his shoulder, and quickly retrieving it once he noticed how much Bruno had flinched this time. He didn't say anything. But observing his features more closely they found that a purplish tinge was blooming on his right cheek, in the form of a handprint.

Agustín gasped, which made Bruno cringe just a bit more. They knew that Bruno would never tell them who hit them. But he did not have to. Because they could imagine who it was.

Abuela had always been prone to more of a physical way of punishment. She would never hit her daughters, no. For no one hits a lady (The Abuse the girls got to feel was a more hidden psychological kind). But it did not matter if she hit Bruno. He was a man. He could handle a little slap to his cheek.

And Abuela always had something to complain about with him. Whether he did something wrong or he had a bad prophecy and the town started talking about the family, pushing them into a bad light. Sometimes it was just because he talked back or sometimes Alma just had a difficult day and needed someone, she could push all her anger and sadness onto.