8.

The limo stopped just in front of the big gala. There was a huge amount of fancy important people standing in line, waiting by the big stewards at the entrance checking for their name on the list. Whatever this gala was, it looked to be very exclusive.
She glanced outside the window. This world was surely fascinating but didn't belong to her.
Happy opened the car door and there was Tony standing for her.

"Thrilled?"

"Nervous" Kate blushed

"Don't be. Come" he held her hand.
They didn't bother to stand in line as the other people, when they came to the steward, he simply nodded and gave them access. If it wasn't clear enough, that was Tony Stark power: because of his legacy but most of all, because of what he'd become.

Once inside Kate managed not to stand open mouthed as a teenager attending at her first ball.
"Tell me again, what this is about?" She questioned still glancing around.

"I never told you" he simply stated grabbing a couple of drink for both.

"Either you tell me or not, it won't remain a mystery for very long" she sipped her drink

"Stark?" Tony adjusted his hidden transceiver.

"Rogers we are in" he whispered looking at Kate as he was talking to her.
She frowned "Rog.." she widened her yes "like Steve Rogers??"

"Maybe you should post posters on the walls for those at the back of the room who didn't hear you" Tony sarcastically replied as he glanced around surveying the area.
"WE?" Steve asked in the transceiver.

"Anything we should know about?" Natasha ironically added.

"What if I said that it's none of your business?"

"It is, if I have to give her protection" said Steve.

"I'm the ONE who gives her protection" he contradice Rogers.

"Uh- uh! Are we playing again to who makes it farther?"

"Jealous Romanoff?" Tony replies.

"There is also Nat.." Tony stopped Kate with a warning look, before she could give voice to her thoughts "ok. It's not my business" Kate nodded lowering her eyes. She had to remember she was nothing, just a doll hired for the night.
"She's definitely beautiful, Stark, she's also gifted of a brain?" Teased Natasha.

"You know Romanoff if I didn't know you were into Banner I would say it's jealousy"

"You wish" she replied

"What can I say?" Tony shrugged " other than...it's none of your business?" He winked.
Kate grinned easily guessing the argument.
"Guys could we go back to the plan?" Rogers reprimanded.

Tony grabbed Kate's arm and walked nonchalantly along the big ballroom, every once in a while someone greeting him.
"How can you go undercover if everyone knows you" she asked
"That's the point. I'm officially here as a guest, and a potential buyer"

"For what?"

They still were slowly walking, Tony's eyes darting from side to side, analysing the situation.
"As a sugar baby you are far too curious aren't you?" He glanced at her bit impatient.

"I'm sorry.."

He breathed deeply" it's officially a charity ball, but in a side room during the event there will be an auction, with highly unusual objects .."

"Stark? Hope you trust her enough" Clint said through the transceiver. Reality struck him. He didn't know her. He stopped and his eyes raised to hers. The blue of her eyes enchanted him. In the depth of her gaze there was something pure. Honesty.
She hadn't heard Clint but was simply staring back Tony. Trusting him. "You know what Barton? Contrary on what you think, I know exactly what I'm doing....." never leaving eye contact "Yes, I do" muttered to Clint. Something made her smile sheepishly.
"Since whatever I'll ask her, she'll do it without questioning" he added. His dominant tone back on him. His steely hot stare made her feel weird.. butterflies in her stomach and the room seemed hotter now. She swallowed. Were they still talking about the plan?