Chapter 49: The Reveal

So there they were.

The barn looked beaten down, the red paint that once covered it was long gone, only a few smudges remained on the large doors.

The moon was shining brightly in the midnight sky, it was also the only thing giving light to the barn.

Chester's wings acted accordingly after being hit with a slight cold breeze in the air, wrapping themselves around him like a blanket for warmth.

"Damn, this place gives me the creeps...are you sure about this?" Parker shivered, tossing up his coat hood.

Chester nodded slowly. "Yeah...yeah, I'm sure. We have to do this, anyway..."

"No, we really don't. We could always keep spying on those people in that tent or something..." Parker suggested, mostly out of nervousness.

"And drive for 6 hours every day? I'm sorry, but I really don't want to be in a car for that long without any breaks!" Chester huffed, it was so cold outside he could see his breath.

"Fair." Parker mumbled, walking up to the side of the barn door.
"Okay, you ready? Hopefully the wheels on this thing aren't completely rusted..." he huffed, grabbing onto the barn door.

It took a moment to get it moving, the rust wasn't at fault, though. The door was probably a dozen years old, Parker could've sworn he heard the wood on it creaking as he pulled.

He left it open just enough so the both of them could squeeze in, and also so nothing looked too suspicious.

"Let's go in..." Parker whispered, poking his head in first while he held a hand out for Chester to grab onto.
Of course, he gladly took it, walking forward with him into the darkness of the barn.

"Dude, I can't see a damn thing in here...do you have your phone with you?" Parker asked.

"No, I thought you brought yours!" Chester loudly whispered back.

"Bro, you bring your phone everywhere....why didn't you bring it HERE??" Parker seethed, not even trying to whisper anymore.

Chester shrugged aggressively, the sass was on
p o i n t.
"If I did have my phone, the first thing I would show you is my infamous done with this shit expression."

"Oh ha, ha, very funny. If your done spitting out those dry and salty ass jokes, I'll be more than happy to scold you for WHY YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR-"

Parker's words were covered up by Chester's hand over his mouth, a quick shhh followed.

Chester then began to focus on the second heartbeat thumping in his ears. It wasn't a fast, anxious beat, which meant it wasn't his own.

So that could only mean...
they weren't alone.

Chester's grip on Parker's hand tightened as he pulled him closer, removing his other hand from the others mouth.
"HEY, WHO'S THERE?! SHOW YOURSELF!"
He hollered out, jumping slightly as he heard a can of some sort being kicked in the distance.

"D-Do you see them??" Parker whispered, eyes glued to the darkness that surrounded them.

"No, but I heard another heartbeat...there's a third person here." Chester confirmed.

"Shit...then where are they?!"

. . . .
"Right here." A low voice spoke in the darkness.

"AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!" They both screamed, immediately scrambling towards the exit.

"DUDE, MOVE FASTER!"
"I'M TRYIN', YOU KEEP STEPPING ON MY DAMN FOOT!!"
"BRO, WHO CARES ABOUT YOUR FOOT?! WE NEED TO LEAVE!"
"OWW!"

Both of their movements came to a sudden halt once the dim barn light flickered on, lighting up at least the center of the huge room.

"W-Whoa...did...did you do that?" Parker gasped.

"Ah, yes, because I somehow suddenly have the power to turn on lights." Chester snarled, fixing his shoe that was about to fling off of his now very much sore foot.

"It was me, obviously." The mysterious voice spoke from above them.

"W-Whoa! Alright, where are you?! Enough messing around!" Parker yelled out, his eyes glanced around the room quickly.

"Up here." The voice mumbled, throwing another empty can down from the top balcony.

"W-Well then...what are you waiting for?? S-Show yourself!" Chester stammered, glaring up.

The two of them nearly jumped out of their skin when something bigger than an empty can landed in front of them.

Chester winced in fear as he realized the person landed somewhat closer in front of him than Parker. Opening an eye slowly, he got a good look at who appeared in front of him.

They were wearing an old black curtain as a cape, their clothes had holes in them, their dark grey pants could've been considered shorts from how torn they were. Their shirt was a knitted black sweater, quite a few wool strings were untied near the ends of it. They weren't wearing any shoes, and their feet were covered in scars.

Their face was covered by a cheap, black, plastic mask, but he could still see their dark green eyes staring at him.
Lastly, they had medium length, ginger hair.

A small giggle was heard through the mask as Chester continued to just...stare at them.

"So it actually is you..." They whispered, placing a firm hand on one of Chester's shoulders.

"H-huh?"

"Hey, back off! Don't touch him!" Parker yelled, shoving the mysterious person back.

Their tongue clicked in amusement, but they didn't try moving forward again.
"Guess I struck a nerve in ya, huh?"

Parker didn't have much of a response ready, instead he pulled Chester away from them and behind him instead. If anyone was getting hurt first, it would be himself.

"Pff, you don't gotta hide him, you know? I'm not gonna hurt him...again." They scoffed.

"Again?? What do you mean again?" Parker questioned.

"I'm sure he's still very fond of our history together." They laughed, almost manically.

Suddenly, Parker felt Chester's hand squeeze  him tightly. Looking back, he realized that Chester's face was completely white, his eyes were wide with fear, and even filled with tears.

Chester recognized that laugh. That dammed laugh that he wished to never hear again.

"I-It's him...Parker, it's...him..." Chester whispered with a shallow breath.

"Him?? What do you mean—"
Parker's words were stopped by the sudden huge realization that came to him. The only other person Chester had ever talked about was his....

. . . .
Oh, oh god.

Parker snapped his head back towards the mysterious person. Well, they weren't exactly a mystery anymore...

"Ah, by the pissed off look on your face, I can tell that you might also know who I am..." The person smiled, though it wasn't like either of them could tell that he was smiling.

"Trent." Parker spat, glaring at the narrowed eyes that glared right back at him.