Prologue

The middle school girl picks up her phone after receiving a text message. She goes through the facial recognition with her phone. This was as advanced as technology for a device as small as this can get.

"Dear, make sure to make a right turn once we pass through the gas station. Then we can finally get to the store without you making the wrong turn." Another woman said, in the front seat of the car.

The middle school girl currently is sitting in the backseat with her seatbelt on as always.

"Yeah, yeah, woman. I already remember about the gas station. How many times have they changed the goddamn logo for that gas station. It's been changed twice this year." The father complains, trying to find excuses to defend his weakness.

"Well then maybe you're not that gifted, but you are still a competent driver." The mother said in a sarcastic tone as the father sensed it immediately.

Being married for more than 17 years, you develop a sixth sense towards the person you marry.

"Bullshit." The father said with his vulgar language.

Immediately, the mother slapped the father's lap, avoiding his arms and face to not distract him from driving. "No swearing, Komachi is in the car with us."

"Well she's gonna have to deal with it. Because both you and her forced me to take you both to the costume store." Another excuse from the father as always.

"It's to save gas of course, and it would be lonely if it was only me and Komachi."

"Where's Hachiman? I'm sure he would enjoy going to the costume store."

"Unfortunately, he's busy with club. Komachi told me that he's been hanging out with 2 of the most beautiful women she's ever seen. Me and her being excluded."

"Really? Well then, tell me more when we get home, alright?" The mother could see the father's excitement, noticing his fingers fidgeting and twitching a little.

"Sure, honey- LOOK OUT!"

What turned into a normal and heartwarming conversation from a husband and wife while the daughter cringed from their conversation, turned into a catastrophe for the entire Hikigaya family.

...

"We are sorry to say, Hikigaya-san, but 3 of your family members could not survived their fatal wounds. They died instantly. The cause of death is from a T-bone crash, a red sedan was going 60mph in the recordings in a 30mph town and it went through their car like it was a thin piece of paper."

The police officer breaks the news to the only Hikigaya member of the family.

Devastated, Hachiman didn't know what to do. He simply fell back onto the couch and just stared blankly at the air. His head tilted down slightly to avoid looking at the officer. The officer took this as a sign for his immediate leave for the boy for his alone time.

He didn't know whether to cry or stay silent forever.

A few weeks before his graduation of high school, and his family ends up dying. They die without seeing him graduate from the school stage. Hachiman had no speech in mind. But all he ever wanted was to feel proud, and his family to be proud of him.

While he did not have the time to pursue a higher education like his other friends, he was set on a scheduled job interview for being a part-time warehouse worker. Which was the first step to adulthood.

But, in just a split second, all of it changed. His entire life, his entire future drastically diminished by a reckless driver. The driver has still not been identified. Police are still trying to find the culprit till this day.