Chapter 14. The Attack on New York

In the two weeks before they tackled New York, Bucky, Steve, Sam, several military tacticians, and officials from the city met up with the two detachments of cavalry that Bucky had assembled.  They were a rag tag crew of mounted policemen, civil war re-enactors, equestrians, leisure riders, and a few cowboys.  They were transported by cargo helicopters to a larger city that Bucky had chosen and had acquired access to street maps to plan out their attack.  When they landed they divided themselves up into their two detachments.  Bucky put himself on the rooftop with Steve on another, both armed with rifles and ammunition while Sam monitored from above.  The first detachment loaded up jury rigged flash bang carriers that would release one into their hand as required.  Bucky gave the command and the crew started at the edge of the city, each one following a loop course that brought them back to their starting point.  Each flash bang was set to go off at a specific time and they did, as a muffled bang sound was heard.  Grabbing his ammunition and slinging his rifle Bucky jumped to the next building.  Steve followed suit and the next detachment ran their routes.  They alternated back and forth between the two detachments for two hours until they came to a natural barrier, a river that bisected the city.  When they had completed that section Bucky signalled Steve to go down to the ground and meet there.  Pulling up a manhole cover the two men went down into the storm sewers with flash lights and found they had disabled the aliens everywhere they could see as they walked to the outskirts of the city.  Sam had also sent a video drone into the sewers further away and confirmed they had neutralized the Others present in that section of the city.  After feeding and watering the horses they rode them across a bridge to the other side.  Bucky joined the cavalry this time when another rider asked if he could be the sniper.

"I've been improving my horseback riding skills," said Bucky to Steve.  "If I go back to New Mexico I might as well, right?"

Steve smiled at him and ran up to a sniper position in a building along with the other man.  Bucky gave the command and like the others in that detachment tossed the explosive devices down into the street drain.  Within seconds of them returning to their starting position the flash bang detonated and the next detachment took their position.  For a couple of hours they alternated back and forth until a lady with a clipboard informed Bucky they had reached the maximum mileage per horse.  They hadn't cleared the whole city but they had cleared about three quarters of it in total. 

They stayed in motels at the edge of the city, posting guards for the horses as they let them loose in a park to feed on the grass and drink from a natural pond.  The next morning they returned to where they stopped and had to backtrack a bit as several nests had expanded into some of the areas they had cleared.  Within a couple of hours they had cleared the remaining parts of the city.  After a quick meeting with everyone, one of the riders asked if they could please go to New York and get rid of the fucking aliens.  Everyone laughed but the military tacticians looked at each other and said in their minds the attack was a go.  For maximum impact they did want as many mounted detachments as possible.  They would be clearing the former Naval Air Station New York, now known as Floyd Bennett Field and JFK Airport simultaneously of Others and setting up their command post at the latter.  The detachments would be split between the two airfields and work a pattern from both locations eventually meeting somewhere in the middle of Long Island, while regular military detachments would handle clearing the northern part of the island in the traditional way.  Once the island was cleared they would use it as their staging area to start clearing the eastern seaboard.

Steve and Bucky would be running and dropping flash bangs in areas that were inaccessible to horses with Peter flipping up the manhole covers if there were no rainwater drains.  The military and police would drop snipers and police sharp shooters off via helicopter to various rooftops to cover everyone's six.  The date of the attack on New York was set and everyone was told to prepare for it.