Journal entries

I travel for a few days before I stop. Getting as far away from that horrible place. Reading as much as I can from the journals. Whoever the Witcher scientist was he was a brilliant man, in his own psychotic way. One entry states that....

The Witcher healer is a remarkable achievement. Someone who can heal any wound of any kind. I have succeeded in only making seven of these remarkable Witchers.
One for each school.

The Wolf School: Rafaela the Red Wolf.

The Cat School: Lorelei the Lioness

The Viper School: Serephina the Saphire Snake.

The Bear school: Brunhilda the Black bear. (Deceased)

The Griffin School: Gwendolyn the Tigregriff (deceased)
( yes it is a griffin)

The Manticore school: Mathilda the Mighty . (Deceased)

The Crane School: Cora the Cardinal. (Deceased)

But Alas ,  only three out of the seven remain. I had so hoped that the Witchers could thrive again. We are loosing the ability to make more. This was a solution to our problems. But I fear that if these woman don't give in to their heat cycles the Witcher race shall be doomed. For only a healer Witcher can activate a male Witchers gene to reproduce. And only with her."

I slam the journal close and scream into the night. Poor Damon whinnies at me in fright.
I run my fingers through my hair in anger.
" Im nothing but a broad mare. I'm one of the last female Witchers with the ability to have children. And I can only have children with one man in this entire world. The one man who refuses to give me the time of day? Are you flipping kidding me right now!!!!!" I scream out again.
" Having a bad day?" I jump at the question . I turn to find Yennefer standing behind me.
" how did you find me?"
" Ciri told me about the stone you gave her."
"Of course she did." I grumble
" So the others have been making bets of when you've decided to come back." She so casually comments. I smirk at her and cross my arms.
" oh ? And what did you bet?" I ask
She smiles at me
" I bet you'd come back when you where good and ready. Which so happens to be right now." A portal opens up to my left. I stand , quickly gathering my things. Blind folding Damon. I lead him through the portal to home. Coming to stand in the court yard. I unsaddle
Damon and slowly make my way inside. It's once again winter and I'm sure everyone is inside. I stand in the doorway watching my brothers laugh and be merry.
" Did I miss the party?" I ask
Everyone freezes and turns to look at me. Vesemir comes towards me a wraps me in a hug.
" you have got to stop staying away for so long." He whispers
" I'm here to stay Ves." I whisper back.
" Rafe? RAFE!!!!" I pull back at that exclamation to see Ciri running up to me. Nearly knocking me down. She's grown , nearly as tall as me.
" good to see you Ciri." I pull away from her and look behind her to see the others.
" Well, who wants the first go at me? Huh? Anybody ?"
Galdir moves towards me and stops to stare down at me.
" you ever pull a stunt like that again I will bend you over my knee and tan your hide." He growls down at me. I smile and lean towards him

" Promise?" I ask mischievously
His eyes widen then. He busts out laughing.
" Ah Red, it's good to have you home."
I smile as I'm enveloped by my brothers . It's good to be home.

**************************

Settling back in is hard. The others don't seem to understand that I need my space. I've learned an aweful lot of information which I'm trying to process. I bring the journals to Vesemir. He's shocked to say the least.
" Where did you get these?" He asks
In shock.
"The Viper school. I had gotten a lead on some information from an old friend in Cintra. He said that before the Viper school became  well.... No more that there was a Witcher dabbling with the potion that made Witchers. He was working on making Witcher healers out of the female Witchers. There were only seven of us out of hundreds. " I hand him the journal I had been reading through.
"This Scientist was psychotic. He  did something to these seven Witchers . It allows us to go through a heat cycle when we've basically found our ideal match."
He nods his head and then tenses when he comes to the list of names.

" Rafe , your on this list." He whispers.
I sigh in resignation. " I've only experienced a few of the symptoms he described."
I pull open one of the journals and begin to read .

"  when the Healer begins to dream share with her chosen , she will have approximately seventy two hours until the heat begins. At such time she will only want her chosen.  If he is not near at that time .....then The heat will slowly consume her and she will die. The heat is a push to further the Witcher race.  For the Healers are our last hope to replenish the Witcher race. I fear if these last three perish the rest will slowly follow over time. If only I had more time to perfect more of the  healer potion I know I could succeed. I fear that the others are on to me. They agreed in the beginning with me but I fear that Keith has turned them against me for his own purposes. Whatever they maybe. He is cruel and ....."
The entry ends as if he was interrupted.
" So From what I've just read, if I begin dream sharing with my chosen, whoever he maybe , then I have seventy two hours before the heat goes active." I say to Vesemir
He rubs a hand down his face , weary.
" Rafe I fear that if this happens that you will have to ...." I hold my hand up halting his words
" I will not be a broad mare! " I tell him through clenched teeth. Trying to hold back the tears. I throw the journal across the room leaving him to study over the rest of the journals without me.
I run down the hallway passing a few of my brethren. I run until I come to the training yard. I don't stop running. I need to something to tire me. I look around and my eyes land on the pendulum. I smirk. I walk up the stairs and begin at the swinging arms. I run through the course many times. Not stopping . Not even when I feel the others watching me. I dismount for the tenth time and look up at them. I'm soaked in sweat and blood. I limp past them, freezing when I see him standing there watching me.
" Geralt.." I whisper
He smiles at me and that's the last thing I remember.