Just Give Him The Donuts Woman

Lucy POV

Her mind was swimming but circled back to one question. How much does he care? Well, most of her cards had been shown. She might as well fold.

Sighing, she said, "Tim, how do you mean that? Because there are a couple of different ways I can interpret what you just said. I really don't care how you see it, I just need to know so I don't set myself up for disappointment or read things the wrong way."

He appeared to think about it. Then he said, "Give me the donuts, woman, and I'll tell you."

Without a word, she stood and passed him the box, knowing that if she didn't she would never get the answers she was so desperate for. He ate maybe two or four, she wasn't counting. The man had almost died and ate like a health freak 95% of the time so it didn't matter.

"Lucy," he began, "I don't know what kind of answer you're looking for. I'm not... great with getting the right message across either. But I can say this. I care about you. A lot."

She smacked herself in the face. "Tim, that's sweet but also very vague." Sighing, she rubbed her eyes, trying to figure an easy way to decipher the mess she had landed in. It came to her in a moment, like someone had flicked a switch. There was a 50/50 chance that he would end up making this into something super awkward. But... she also had a 50% chance that it would be the greatest decision she made since becoming a cop.

Taking a deep breath, she said, "Tim, I'm going to do something. And I'm going to need you to react. I don't care how. Just, ya know, react."

Before he could respond and before she could think of a million reasons not to do it, she held her hair behind her ears with both hands and leaned down, pressing her lips to his. They were a little rough, but it was a cozy, warm roughness. 

But for one horrific moment, they were still against hers.