Chapter 7 - Just a Memory

Just a Memory

"Did you have a nice summer, Harry?" Luna said absentmindedly, over her newspaper.

Harry didn't bother to answer, but took his robes and left the room. In the corridor Harry met Ron and Hermione.

At the sight of him, Hermione elbowed Ron hard in the ribs.

"Ow! What?" he said loudly.

She jerked her head towards Harry.

"Oh, right. Harry, listen, mate, I didn't realize–I thought–"

"Harry! What's wrong?" Hermione said shrilly.

Harry gulped for the air that was so slowly coming to him. He shook his head, "I, uh, I–I need a place to change."

"Here, you can use our compartment–well your's–whatever," Hermione ushered him in.

Things were strewn all over. Harry wondered what they had been doing during his absence and instinctively thought of the summer days in the meadow–

Hermione waited outside as Harry pulled on his school robes. Once he was dressed, she came in and sat beside Ron, opposite Harry. They watched him intently.

He put his face in his hands. What on earth had just happened? What was making Ginny make these rash decisions? Why had she all the sudden cut herself off from him?

His head was spinning.

"Harry we really are very–"

"I know! I know you're sorry! But I could honestly care less, Hermione!"

She looked surprised and slightly offended.

"Ginny ended it, okay?" Harry shouted.

Hermione gasped and Ron looked torn.

"Harry–when? How? Why?" Hermione said.

"Just now. Harshly. And I have no damn clue!"

"Harry, you're–you're sure she ended it?"

"Unless 'We're done. We're through. We're over,' means something different to you, then yes, she ended it."

"Listen, Harry, maybe she just–well look at Cho–I mean, you know how women are, they're–"

"Yes, Ronald? What are women exactly? I would enjoy hearing your, very intelligent I'm sure, take on women," Hermione looked deadly while Ron looked horrified.

"Well, you see–what, uh–what I was going to say was that women are very wonderful and understanding," Ron clutched at his heart for emphasis. "And they never, ever get mad at their boyfriends for being stupid, big-headed gits."

Hermione smiled in spite of herself. Harry, however, kept his face in his hands and groaned.

"Oh, Harry, I'm so sorry," Hermione burst, as she went over to him and took his hands in her's.

"Ron and I love you. You know that. And Ginny loves you, too! She's just confused."

"About what?" Harry shouted. "We had everything right!"

"Well, she's still a little mad about you leaving her behind when we went out to look for Horcruxes. And–"

"It was to save her! I didn't want her hurt!"

"Harry, I know. Just let me explain."

"Fine."

"And now you've got girls falling all over you even more than before and she feels a little insecure."