Chapter 10 - A Shared Trouble

A Shared Trouble

The days passed by slowly and dully, not even Quidditch could brighten Harry's day. He coached the Gryffindor team and trained them fiercely. Hoping that the grueling practices would help take his mind off other things. His attempts at forgetting the past failed, however, because Ginny, being a great Chaser, had made the team. He now had to deal with watching her, but not being able to talk to her, even more than before and he hated it.

Brock Napier, to Harry's great disappointment, had become Team Captain and Seeker of the Slytherin team and spent most of his time in the weeks leading up to the first match of the season, Slytherin versus Gryffindor, taunting Harry and other Gryffindors.

Napier's insults did nothing, however, to throw Harry's all star team off course. If anything, it made them practice harder to try and prove themselves. And their hard work paid off when they beat Slytherin, 250-40. Harry felt a smug sense of satisfaction when he remembered the look on Brock Napier's face when Harry had snatched the Snitch from right under his nose.

But Gryffindor's victory did not improve Harry's mood at all. It had brought back memories of the last Slytherin match, when Harry had not been allowed to play and a certain red head had filled in for him...

It had become a regular exercise for Harry to turn into bed early and sit, cross-legged, with the Snitch, map, ring, and photo album laid out all around him, on his bed.

Harry felt as though he was always wearing the–now destroyed–Horcrux locket that caused despair and depression to the wearer. He had gone into a now so sustained silence that people who didn't know Harry would of thought him a shy, quiet boy.

Bill Weasley must have been told the whole Ginny/Harry story because he was now smiling at Harry and saying hello to him in the halls. Harry, however, could personally care less whether or not people believed his story. Harry didn't really care about anything anymore. Only his strong desire to become an Auror was what kept him going these days...

After another short lecture from McGonagall about N.E.W.T.s during one Transfiguration class on and early December day, she called for silence.

"Excuse me, Mr. Weasley. Forgive me for interrupting your, very important, I'm sure, conversation with Ms. Granger, but I do have an announcement."

Ron's ears went scarlet as he muttered a sorry.

"Now, as you all well know, four years ago we held a Triwizard Tournament and with that we had the Yule Ball. Now, I realize that very few of you had the chance to go last time due to the fact that you were too young, now you have your chance. The staff has decided that, this year, in light of recent events," she smiled warmly at Harry, "we need a little celebration. Therefore, we will be having a Yule Ball, again, this year."

There was a murmur of excitement and several squeals.

"Ooh! Professor, Professor!" squealed Romilda Vane, "When will it be?"

"December, the twenty-fourth, Christmas Eve."

"Guess I'm not going," Harry said dully to Ron. "I've got to go back to see Teddy."

Ron looked torn. "Mate, d'you want–should I–? But Hermione–might have to–you know her–," he whispered as Hermione talked to Luna.

"It's fine. You stay. You've got a girlfriend."

"You sure?"

Harry nodded.

Professor McGonagall, astonishingly, let them talk excitedly for the rest of the period.