Chapter 22

"Why would you make up such a lie?"

Alice is supposed to be my best friend and here she was trying to ruin a relationship, I've spent most of my time trying to build. I shifted in my wheel chair, and met her eyes, "Are you...jealous?"

Her face hardened, and she glared at me, "Jesus Christ! Not everyone here is freaking in love with you, Alex!"

"Then what's your problem!" I shouted back at her. "Since you got knocked up, you've been so freaking clingy, and annoying!"

She laughed humorlessly, hands snatching her purse from the couch. She stared at me through watery eyes,"Oh, eat shit, Alex!"

I paused, as she began to walk, wheeling after her as fast as I could,"Can't you just tell me what the hell is going on?"

She spun around to face me, her face red, and angry,"You want to know whats going on? James isn't trying to KILL CASSIE."

There was a long pause, before I let out a relieved sigh,"Well shit.."

She stared at me confused.

"That's the greatest fucking news I've heard all day! That's whats got your tongue all tied? That James is NOT after Cassie?" I almost laughed, at how pointless this whole argument was.

"No! That's not a good thing, okay? You need to break up with Cassie because James wants Cassie to kill herself!"

"Well Cassie's not going to do that, okay? As long as I'm around-

I was cut off by a sharp laugh,"Don't you see? James knows Cassie has people keeping her safe. The police-Karen, private-investigators. Everyone's so worried about Cassie that they haven't even figured out his plan. He want's to kill YOU Alex, not Cassie. She's in love with you...and she's already been through so much that once she finds out your dead-

I stared at her in shock,"She'd take her own life.."

"You need to break up with her. Make her hate you. Do whatever it takes to make her not want you anymore."

I swallowed, and spun around so I wouldn't face her,"I need some time to think. Alone, please."

*

What would I say? What could I possibly say to make Cassie hate me so much? I love her. For the first fucking time, I'm capable of loving someone, and that someone just so happens to be Cassie. I can't do it. I can't just fucking leave her.

But I know I just have to.

I placed the cigarette between my teeth, and slowly inhaled.

*

There were two soft knocks on the door, and then a small voice, "Can I come in?"

My heart sped at the sound of her voice,"No! I'm naked..."

"Why are you naked?"

"Because I'm changing!"

"Why are you changing? And why the hell does it smell like smoke?!"

I rolled my eyes, and unwrapped my towel,"Why do you ask so much fucking questions?"

"Alex, why does it smell like smoke?!"

"Because I was smoking!"

"Why?"

"The fuck? What do you mean why?! Because I wanted to smoke!"