Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

I looked in the mirror and took a deep breath. I was pumped to meet Alex and all his friends but I was also a little bit nervous. What if they thought I was weird? After all, It wasn't exactly the clique I expected. After Avery stalked all of Alex's Instagram followers, we were able to track down his former classmates and most of them were unexpectedly jocks and cheerleaders. I really was expecting some alternative, punk rock people I could relate to but, hey I wasn't going to judge them just quite yet. I pulled the red ends of my hair in front of my shoulders and began braiding them into two french braids. With my hair pulled back and out of the way, I began working on my face.

"Babygirl, please let me do your eyebrows."

I turned on the rolling chair to face Kyle, "I've never even seen you do your makeup before."

"So? I could still probably do it way better than you."

I rolled my eyes and went back to work. Maybe this was a little too much but like I said, I wanted to look my best. Just because I was giving these people the benefit of the doubt, doesn't mean that they were going to do the same. I was finishing the look with some mascara when I felt Kyle walk up towards me. He watched me through my vanity mirror, showering me with model poses. He was wearing an oversized graphic sweatshirt, mom jeans and doc martens.

"I guess she's cute or whatever."

"You look hot," Avery stepped in, dressed in a white tube top and a jean mini skirt. She had a full face of makeup on and finished up with a bold red lip.

"Damn V, I might just have to switch back to girls," Kyle whistled as he spun me around. Avery was dressed beautifully but it wasn't because of that, she looked beautiful. She was the kind of girl who didn't have to try to look a type of way in order to look it—-especially if a type of way was attractive. She was bronzed—-a brunette, fox eyed and wore a size zero.

"Let's go!" I grabbed Kyle's hand and pulled him past Avery. She may have had stolen every single boy from me all through middle school and high school, but she was not going to steal my best friend.

THE GAME

"Damn, them Ashcreek boys..." Kyle whistled, pursing his lips. My arm was interlocked with his as we nervously walked by the group of benched football players. I squinted, trying to find Alex through the group of blue jerseys. I spotted him and could see that he was wearing all black with a white beanie, and an oversized distressed jean jacket. It wasn't hard to figure out that Alex pretended he didn't have any friends when he might've actually been popular. Like super popular.

"Alex!" Kyle screamed and began dragging, literally dragging my body towards them. I stumbled and tried to pull away, and I could see some guys from the group had already turned their heads from the distance.

"Kyle," Alex smiled lazily, and it was actually quite genuine. They did their weird bro handshake and then his eyes connected with mine. His eyes trailed down quickly before he looked into my eyes once more.

He cleared his throat and motioned towards me with his hand, "This is Cassie and her best friend, Kyle."

"Your step sister, Cassie?" One of them stated, wearing the number 'one' on the blue jersey. He was tall, a big like a bodybuilder. His legs were toned and he rocked back and forth as he held onto his helmet. I stared at the class ring on his muscular hand.

Ah. Quarterback.

"Obviously," he rolled his eyes. I looked at him, and watched as he stared blankly at my face. "Why do you have makeup on?"