Already Lost It All

Things happen. People change. That was what your father had left you with when he was shot twice in the back of the head with a revolver by a suspect whom the police had failed to catch.

~

"Daddy! What are you doing with my clothes?" You giggled as your beloved father went from one end of the room to another, packing all of your belongings into a suitcase. He stopped in his tracks, one of your favorite shirts in his hands. He looked at you for a moment, studied your sweet, innocent expression, and stooped to kiss your forehead, smiling sadly at you.

"I'm going to be leaving soon. I want you to stay strong for daddy. And no matter what mommy does to you... I never want you to give up, okay?" He asked softly, looking into your innocent eyes. You were confused.

"W-Wait, daddy, where are you going? Who's 'mommy'?" You tilted your head. Daddy didn't look excited. He looked terrified. This 'mommy' must have been a really bad person, you thought to yourself. Your father hesitated before shaking his head and averting his gaze.

"I'm just going to be leaving, okay? You won't ever see me again, but you don't need to worry. I'll be okay. 'Mommy' is who you'll be with when I leave. I want to give you some advice that I want you to use with her." He spoke softly, almost as if to not scare you. You were, admittedly, a bit afraid, but you knew you had to be strong. You nodded bravely. He smiled. He loved you so much. Even after he had left you, you understood that. His early departure was not his decision, but rather, it was something that needed to be done.

"Mommy will tell you all kinds of bad things. She will say bad things about you and about those you are closest with. Don't believe her. None of what she will says will be true. Never challenge mommy, (y/n). Never. Try to be nice to her. It'll be better for you if you always act like that around her. Never let her know how you really feel. Always stay the same. Never let yourself change. Dress the same every day. Talk the same every day. Act this way for as long as you are with her, or else she will 'punish' you, okay? Mommy is afraid of change, sweetheart... And you should be afraid of it too." He explained. You were a very intelligent child, even at that vulnerable time, when you were young. So, you understood the basics of what he wanted you to do. You nodded, but a question still played on your face. He raised his eyebrows, and you took that as a cue to ask.

"Won't that be a little weird to people?" You frowned. He smiled.

"Don't let anyone get close to you, and you won't even have to worry about what they think. Besides, you're my little angel. No one could ever possibly think bad about you." He complimented with a grin, ruffling your hair. You giggled, delighted with his words. You still had one more question. You stayed silent while he finished packing your little suitcase. He ran off for a few minutes and did a couple of household errands. He slowly walked back into your room, rubbing the nervous sweat of his hands onto his faded jeans. Daddy checked his watch and his face turned pale.

"Shoot... Only a minute left?" His voice was shaky, and it sounded strange. Your eyes widened and you realized that you should probably ask your question. You opened your mouth, but just as you did so, your father grabbed you gently by your shoulders and looked you warmly in the eyes. There were tears in his own. This surprised you; your daddy never cried.

"You know that I love you very much, right, (y/n)? I love you more than life itself..." He said. You smiled, and your eyes filled with tears, because seeing someone you loved sad made you sad. You nodded and opened your mouth to speak.

"And I love you too, daddy..." You said and hugged him tightly. He smiled for a moment before he stood up and stepped away from you to look out of the window nervously.