Part 1: The Rubble Chapter 8

God having a couch is such a luxury. When I lived with Jace there was just one bed and a desk. There really wasn't anywhere to just hang out or sit comfortably. The sofa feels like a cloud on my sore body. The workout I got earlier with Val took more of a toll than I had thought. My body feels like a slug, heavy with the low hum of pain. Luckily I had already had a shower about an hour ago so I'm not sweaty. My hair is almost dry, the damp texture makes me slightly cooler.

I was home alone after the shower because Val had work. I really want to understand her better after this evening so I decided to read something she had recommended to me. It was by the only classical author I recognized, Shakespeare. Macbeth had been a strange book so far but I only got two chapters in before Mark got home. We watched a movie about a lost fish together. Now we're on the couch with the news for background noise. I'm not really watching it but I think he might be.

Today had been good. It brought a final sense of security to my home. I got confirmation that everyone really cares for me here. None of this feels fake or temporary anymore. I know it shouldn't be but after the conversation with Val and hanging out with Mark It is. I can't help but feel safe here. So I let myself feel at home here calling these people family and trusting them wholeheartedly. I have let myself feel loved and safe for the past two hours and it's amazing. Every last bit of affection they gave me feels like it's a drop of water filling an endless hole. It's so relieving to feel love like this.

The world is slightly fuzzy because I'm zoned out. I can still feel the weight of Macbeth on my lap. I'm slightly aware that the wreckage on the tv looks really bad. My world snaps into complete focus with a simple sentence.

"Breaking news the Vulture revealed to be the mayor's son." Oh fuck. The lady on tv stands in front of the rubble of what was once probably a run down office building. Her smile mocks my predicament. They're gonna know I'm Raccoon now. If they find out about Jace it will be so obvious. No no no no no I have to change the channel. I can't lose a home I just accepted.

I begin to frantically search for the remote when the tv changes. The screen displays Jace with no mask on his face. There is dirt smeared on it but the first thing I see on his face is the blood. Crimson liquid smears making my heart skip a beat. He looks so still. Half of his body is trapped under rubble. His wings are twisted at an impossible angle. If this is real then Jace will never fly again. He looks so damaged and almost dead. Why isn't he moving, running? Maybe he's knocked out. I hold out hope.

I look over to Mark. He's staring at me. His face reveals his utter shock at the revolation. He knows now but the reporter's next words divert both of our attentions.

"Vulture was trying to stop a bomb threat with his partner Oblivion when he was intercepted by siren. The bomb was detonated bringing the building down on all three of them." The screen changes to Dolos in his hero suit with the cops. Siren wears a blue and green metallic suit with fin accents on the arm cuffs that match his mask.

"Luckily Siren escaped unharmed but Oblivion is still at large." My brother is only on screen briefly and I barely register Mark's sigh of relief. My friend's lifeless body is displayed again along with an image that I assume is him. He looks so young in the photo he's almost unrecognizable.

"Reports on Vulture's condition indicate he died at seven twenty four pm. Siren failed once again to apprehend both him and his partner." My heart drops emotion blocking out the rest of the statement. He's dead?He's gone, Jace is gone. Everything he's done, everything we've done is over. This can't end. He can't leave me here. I'm vaguely aware of tears. He can't die, I can't live without him. I don't want this to be real. It's not real. It's not possible for him to die. If he dies my life is going to fall apart. I can't fall apart, I just put myself together. It's not real.