Prologue

My heart raced as I ran, the trees blurring together. I was three seconds off schedule- if I didn't make it again, he was sure to do something to me. I skidded to a stop in front of the shadowed being- if he could even be called a being, that is. 

"You're late." His gruff voice was so quiet that I had to lean in to hear him. 

"At least I'm here." I put my hands on my hips. "Can I go in now?" 

He nodded, before beckoning me forward into the hall. There, I faced him. 

"My lord, I report success." I bent my back stiffly downwards into a bow. 

He didn't bother to turn around to face me as he said, "Speak."

"Perseus himself has informed me of a girlfriend in San Francisco. An easy target, that one. Of course my lord, we will follow your plans unless you speak-"

"A girlfriend, is that so?"

I hid my irritation behind a respectful smile. Didn't I literally just say that? 

"That is true, my lord." 

"I'll think about it. Anything else to report?" 

"My lord," my brow furrowed.  "I thought that was all in my assignment?"

He turned to face me, before interrupting. "If you had been smart, then you would have figured all of them out by now."

"Find out more about this girlfriend. Until then, leave me alone."

"As- as you wish, my lord." I closed the door behind me, leaving my master alone in his room. 

It may be time to reunite with my dear sister again.