Chapter 1

I stood on the side of the road one Friday night, I felt good because i had just drunk a cup of gen. I waited for someone to pull up so i could make enough money to buy some more to drink. It was a chilly night so i curled up and shivered with my arms wrapped together. I looked both directions, no car in sight. My name is Nicole, I'm a well known prostitute. This is my life: the streets. It wasn't always this way though i once had a family: a husband and my 4 year old son named Trent. We lived in a apartment in Pittsburg, Texas. Everything was great. But then my husband (Paul) introduced me to drugs. I started taking them daily I found myself addicted, when Paul divorced me I couldn't stop. I started to forget about my son. He spent most nights by himself when my mom wasn't around. She would always keep him when I acted a fool after getting high. Once when I convinced her that I stopped doing drugs she let Trent come back home with me and my husband Paul. After a day without using I thought I could just use a small amount and then stop but that didn't work. I ended up going out with some men and leaving my 2 year old son home alone crying.

Trent is such a handsome boy, he's light skinned, taller than other children his age and dark big brown eyes. And the most beautiful smile you've ever seen and long, curly silky black hair. He took after me alot, I also am light skinned, and tall and have long black hair. People say i marked him. we have the same facial features. He takes after his father too, but not as much as me.

After my mom died in 2010, from cancer, the DHS took Trent away from me. I ended up in rehab for about 3 months before I dropped out. I started a new life without anyone after rehab, just me.. Alone. I have to make money someway. I started prosituding after I heard my ex husband left town. Its been 6 months since then. Same thing everyday, but sometimes when im sober i wonder about Trent, I wonder if he thinks about his mother and if he hates me for doing this to him.. or if he'll ever forgive me.

Every week I tell myself. "Imma quit this week, and imma get my son back" but I never hold up to it. I do want to stop and be normal again. I want my son. I dont want to mistreat my body. I wanna do the right thing.

In the middle of my thoughts a black convertible drove up, a dark man rolled down his window. " what do you need done?" I asked. "just come take a ride with me" he said smiling. " You got money" I asked him. "Fasho". He was a regular looking man looks like he is in his mid 20's. I got in the car cause money was my que. "Whats your name?" I asked "Todd" He said driving off.

After Tom dropped me off. I reached in my purse for my phone to look at the time. 4 am. I decided to go back home. I was now worn out I'd save the money for tomorrow. Everyday around this time I went to my apartment and waited for the next night to come.

I woke up on my pallet in the middle of the floor of my bedroom. I was sweating, I rubbed the sweat off my forehead and stretched out. My apartment was empty, I had nothing but a few sheets and a few clothes. there were mostly beer bottles and tubes laying around and it always smelled of liquor. I was one of the lucky prostitutes, I had my own apartment. I could invite men over sometimes instead of going to their place all the time. Each month I managed to pay the rent, I sometimes forget when I'm high. I'm very close to getting evicted, my landlord is a strict one.

I found my phone and looked at the time: a quarter past noon. I went into the kitchen to look for something to eat. the fridge was empty, nothing but a bottle of beer and peanut butter." I"ll just go buy something to eat" I told myself. After washing up and putting on a t-shirt and shorts I went out.

It was a hot summer day, the sun was bright. little kids around the neighborhood played hopscotch and played together. i passed by and smiled a little boy returned his smile. He looked to be about 8. He played with a little girl. At these times i thought about my son. I remember how it used to be between us before I got on drugs. I used to read to him at night and play cars with him. I enjoyed that.. I missed it. I sometimes wish this never happened and that I'm strong enough to one day soon stop.

I walked along the sidewalk up to a small diner on elms street. I ordered a burger and fries. i ate quickly like i hadent eaten in days.. i probably hadnt. after eating i sat there and gazed out the window and watched cars past by.

That night I meet my best friend (Aubery) on the streets. We grew up together. Our families were friends but we were best friends. She was a tall dark skinned beautiful young lady, She had middle length hair that flowed down her shoulders, But she always wore wigs. She had Hazel eyes. She sometimes asked me why i was on these streets she thought of me as better then this. She says i was a straight A student in high school i could have chosen to do more for my life. I was beautiful and could find a nice husband that could take care of me and my son.

"Is this street been busy?" I asked her. "Not really" She said. She dressed in a tight pink dress and held a small purse in her hands. "You know what Aubrey, I been thinking. I think I'm done with these streets. lately I been thinking about my son alot more, I miss him, I don't want him to forget about me. I want to go back to rehab and complete the program then turn my life around. this life isn't right for me anymore.' Tears began to fall down my eyes. "This isn't getting me anywhere Aubrey. After this week I quit, but this time I'm serious, and ill actually do it."

"Nichole, you know thats what i've been trying to tell you all along. . .You know what you quit, ill quit. ill go to rehab with you. We're bestfriends. She said while she wiped the tears from my eyes. You know I wont let you do this alone.

Thursday, I said. ,Thursday we go to rehab. we start a new life. No more prostituting, no more drinking and drugs. "We can do this Aubrey.'' I said with a trembling voice. We can do this together. Aubrey looked at me then hugged me tight  "We're strong Nichole.. Yeah we can do this.''

Sunday night I stood on our regular street. Most of our girls had already gone with some men this early. It was around 11 when a ragged car came up and pulled over. A heavyweight man sat in the car. I walked closer to the small car. "You need something?' I asked flirtlingly." Without a word, he motioned for me to get in the car. "You have cash bru' I asked smiling. He shook his head yes and opened the door wider. I got in. He locked the doors. He was a strong looking man looked like he was in his late 40"s. His beer belly sat in his lap as her drove. He smelled as a working man, it was either him or his car that had a bad odor.

His radio played a fast rap song, that I didn't know the name of. I began to feel uncomfortable when I realized he hadn't said a word to me since I got in. I started a conversation. "Whats your name?' He removed his eyes from the road and looked over at me. "It's Joe" He answered. " Joe Byrd.' "Okay Joe where are you taking me?" I asked. "My basement" He answered with a smile. " Wow, I never done 'nuthin in a basement before" I said jokingly. He smiled then looked back at the road. I couldn't think of anything else to ask him, so we sat in silence.

We road the rest of the way without a word. It was after 20 mins of driving when he pulled up at a large brick house, close to the woods. It was dark inside no lights were on. He said in a deep voice " Come inside." I got out the car and followed him to the front door. He got his keys and opened the door and quickly grabbed my arm tightly and forced me inside agressivly bumping my head on the brick wall inside. At this point I thought to myself, "What have I got myself into now?"

I started sobbing then I asked him what was he doing. He slapped me and told me to shut up.His house was dark and full of clutter. Still holding my arm tightly he led me closer inside the house. He quickly drug me behind him. I cried out loud from the pain he put on my arm. "Stop it" I screamed. He stopped at a wooden door outside the kitchen. He opened the door to some stairs. He let go of my arm and shoved me down the stairs. I rolled on the concrete stairs all the way to the bottom, I screamed when I felt something wet on my forehead. I was bleeding. I was distracted by loud voices. I couldn't see anyone but i heard their loud sobs. I also heard him coming down the stairs closer and closer. when I realized where I was laying. In the basement.