Chapter 7

NICHOL

"I watched Joe as he stabbed my best friend 17 times in her chest. I couldn't do anything but sit there and watch. I wondered how can a man be so heartless and evil. Tears began to shed down my cheeks."  Those were the hardest days of my life. I told Steve on the Steve Wilkos show. I had been invited on the show after he had heard about my story and that I had survived. "It was the coldest night that night, losing a person so close to me and watching her die right before me." I said to Steve. "What happened after he killed her? Steve asked." He put her body on the table then the next morning he was about to cut her up and let us eat her but that's when the police burst through the door and they set us free."

"Your story is such a blessing to yourself and others, Its very inspiring that after all that torture from being raped and beaten and your still alive today." Steve announced. I looked around at the crowd then at the cameras tears almost coming from my eyes, "I thank the lord everyday! I think this was just a wake up call for me to stop doing what I was doing and get my life together. I was doing alot of wrong and the lord showed me what could of happened to me but instead he gave me another chance to get right with him."

Steve looked down at his note cards then asked another question. "what are you doing now?.. are you done with rehab? " I am actually, I recently served 6 months in rehab, I was released last week. As of now I go to group meetings with people that's been through things similar that Ive been through and I also go to church every Sunday and trying to get more involved. Ive been clean for over 7 months, no drugs, no drinking, and no prostituting" I said with a smile. The crowd began to clap. 

" I also went to see my son, He's so handsome and outgoing" I said remembering his face. "I will be able to have him back in about another 3 months. I still have a few things I need to get done before he can come live with me." Steve nodded his head understanding what I was saying. " That's great, I'm happy to see that your getting your life back together. where are you living now? he asked "I live in a one bedroom apartment on 161 west avenue." I said. "The rehab center helped me find a nice apartment and they also will be helping me pay the rent."

Steve shook his head. "That's nice. You mentioned that there were two other survivor who also survived this tragedy, how are they? do you know?" "Yes, Kim and Ariel. Last I heard Kim had a baby and got married-- "And this is Joe's baby right? Steve interrupted. "Yes Kim got pregnant by Joe and through it all she decided to keep her, Its a girl. "That's a really tough decision" said Steve I agree, But I know it would have been very hard to give up her first child, Its still her's no matter who's the father. But I think her new husband was a good help with making her decision, he's a very nice man, he's the one who saved all of us really so I do send him my gratitude. Ariel, the other survivor moved away with her mother, she's fine the last Ive heard.

Ms. Nichol I appreciate you coming here and sharing your story with us, Its been an inspiration to a lot of women in the world, "Thank you for coming" Steve said standing to his feet. After shaking Steve's hand, i waved to the crowd, they applause as I headed backstage. The camera followed me until I reached the exit door. I caught a cab back to the hotel. 

                                                              *******************************

After searching for a job for about two weeks,  I found a job working as a loan officer at Bank of America. The employment manager noticed I am very good with numbers and that I badly needed a job. My job was pretty easy. I sit behind a desk and calculated out loans for people and organized papers. But the hard part about my job is seeing desperate women like I was trying to make it when their loans get denied. 

 I will be getting good pay every two weeks. enough for me to get back on my feet, get some furniture and clothes then have some extra spending money for me and Trent. I can't wait to get Trent. I looked forward to it day after day, and night after night. Only one more week before our next meeting, and my little boy will be in my arms again. Now that I have a job I'm sure they would let him come back with me. I looked up at the sky with tears in my eyes, my life was finally coming together.