8. Idols...Biology...Encino Royalty?

April 17th 1973

17200 Ventura Blvd.

Encino, California 2:30 p.m

Woolworth's, Encino Town Center

Michelle's Point of View:

"Are you nervous, Shelly?" Emily asked me as we browse through some of the clothes at the mall. I had entered the Junior Miss Encino pageant, and my biggest competition was Jacqueline. Ever since I decided not to be a bully and stand by Emily, Jacqueline and her squad tried they best to make us the butt of their jokes, pranks, and mishaps. 

"Not at all, I am a star in the making Emmy, and Jacqueline has met her match, trust me." I say to her as I found the perfect one-piece swimsuit for the swimsuit competition. 

"Well, I am happy you are confident, and I really do hope you beat Jacqueline at her own game. That would be a good thing. Hey, do you think it's true that the Jackson brothers are done, and Michael and Jermaine are going their separate ways?" Emily asked as she read an article from Life magazine. I still haven't told Emily about Michael and I's friendship, although I think I can trust her she already talks about Michael nonstop, which he thinks is cool to be able to talk with his fan. 

"I mean, if they do, I think they should be able to explore their creative differences, right?" I say knowing the real reason why there is talk about a Jackson 5 split. Jermaine is yet again still jealous that Michael is the breakout star, all the boys are moving on and creating families, and Michael and Jermaine are the only ones who still want to do music besides little Janet and Randy. 

Uncle Joe is still trying to keep the boys together, I think it's because he doesn't want the family to grow apart. Michael has ideas for new music, and no one wants to listen to him, so he is definitely frustrated. However, I keep all of this between Michael, my Journal, and Billy. He has been writing to me all about training and a couple of his fights. He won one a few months back, and his brother now owns the gym where he trains since the owner, they became cool with left it to him. 

"Yeah, I just hope that if they do split Michael continues making music. He has the voice of an angel." She says as she sighs while looking at a picture of Michael dreamily. It's hard having a friend in love with my best friend and neither know each other. 

"Something tells me he won't ever give up music." I say, not realizing my inner thoughts slipped out. 

"Yeah, he has a real love for it." Emily says thankfully, not catching on to me. 

"Okay, I am going to buy this, and then we can head to the food court. My legs are still sore from dance practice." I say to Emily as we had just come from dance team practice. 

"Yeah, I think we are going to win the dance competition, I don't know how you find time to be our team captain, do this pageant, and pass, Mr. McGee's science class." Emily says as we stand in line to pay for the one piece. 

"It's call studying, and prioritizing, besides I said I could help you in science class if you and I just study at your house." I say to Emily, who was pulling C's and needed to pick her grades up. 

"Cool, let us start today, but at your house, mine is being remodeled, and my parents and I are in the guest house, not enough room, trust me. Besides, we got a quiz tomorrow, and I am freaking out Shelly." Emily says, and I nod. 

"Alright, come on, let's head to my house." I say to her as this will not be Emily's first time at my house just her first time inside. I didn't want to run the risk of her finding out about my connection to Michael. But I doubt he would ever stop by as he is busy with making music, plus my parents know I am trying to be my own person without being connected to Michael.