Chapter 12

2001

"There is a happy ending to this right?" Cassidy whispered into the slight dark room. Light had started to creep inside the room from the small window.

"Not likely no" Cassidy felt her eyes staring to sting with tears, she sniffled lightly and drew circles on her papas chest listening to his steady heartbeat. She could feel him taking a deep breath before releasing it, and she could feel his breath fanning the top of her head slightly. The soldier had his metal hand under his head and his none-metal around Cassidy drawing random patterns on her back.

She had just woken up from a nightmare, it was awful. She was back under the water but this time she wasn't allowed to get up her papa fought the guards but it didn't help. The desperate look in his eyes and he started begging his handler to let her go. Karpovs face swam in front of her face every time she was under water, laughing with the mocking face he would make.

The soldier had noticed her uneven breathing, the desperate attempt to get air into her lungs. He had started to stroke her blond hair slowly. But that just added to her nightmare the feeling of someone touching her hair. He started to get concerned when she tried to get away from him but he wasn't going to allow her to get away from him. The soldier had been denied comfort for years before Cassidy came into his life and he wasn't going to let it go.

Cassidy had gasped for air, crying when she launched herself at him. Since then they had just been laying on the small mattress in comfortable silence. The soldier didn't think much, whenever he did he would get a headache so he just didn't think, only focusing on the little amount of weight on his chest. And the cirkels he felt on his chest, it made him calm. His little girl made him calm.

Cassidy wanted out and had been thinking what it would be like if the soldier hadn't taken her that day in the motel, her life would have been going like normal with the verbal abuse from the monster, and she would probably have seen her mother die. She also thought what it would be like for her and her papa to escape HYDRA and live there lives outside and manipulaton and torture. She could feel her stomach flutter by the thought of all the things they could do without punishment.

She would sometimes dream about it if she wasn't pledged with nightmares of the dead and torture. It was nice to be here in this building. She knew the people running it were evil, but there hasn't been any pain. It was nice for a time to not be punished for doing nothing, doing missions or being frozen. Cassidy hadn't seen girls her age for a long time so she longed for friends to talk to, sure it was nice to talk to her papa but it wasn't the same.

Cassidy let out a sign wanting to do something, anything. "Papa?" he hummed in response "Can you train me just the girls?" there was a slight pause where the silence was deafening. She really wants to learn how to fight. It looked fun. "No" she sat up on his chest looking him in the eyes. "Why not?" The soldier saw the look in her eyes the same look when she wanted something from him but this time wasn't going to break. "Because I said so" "Why?" "Because" "Why?" "Because" "Wh-" "Stop. Cassidy." His voice demanded and gave her a warning look and it made her stop her ranting.

She plopped down hitting her head on his chest, and let out a sign, playing with her lips running her finger over them tugging them. She was bored and didn't want to wait until there was something for them to do. So she sat up again and started to bounce on his chest. When she didn't get a response from him, she bounced harder into his chest he let out and 'Ouff' in response, he opened his eyes looking at her again giving her a warning look.

She stopped but started again when he closed his eyes, this time he didn't give a reaction. Cassidy leaned over his face, her blond hair laying on his cheek before she pushed it behind her ear. She studied his face up close. The soldier could feel her breath in his cheek but he kept his eyes closed waiting for her fingers to start.