chapter 3

michael awoke fairly early the following morning.

his tired eyes trailed down to his sheet covered body, humming quietly at the comforting warmth. he reached over to grab his phone from the side table, reading the time which read 7am. the man could only groan quietly in annoyance, wishing he would have slept longer to travel a better portion of the day. 

with that in mind, he hauled himself up and raised his arms to stretch, eyes traveling to the girl slumbering in the bed next to him. her phone was laying loosely in her hands and her mouth was hung wide open. 

if michael saw correctly, she was even drooling.

he could only muster up a tired grin before eyeing the girls bag that laid zipped right next to her bed. he knew it was risky but at the same time, he didn't care.

her mommy and daddy could probably make up for whatever he took.

he inched closer and unzipped the burgundy bag, carefully rummaging through it to make sure the items didn't look out of place from their already neat arrangements. once his fingers knocked with the feeling of a cardboard box, he smirked triumphantly before pulling the carton of cigarettes out.

michael zipped up the bag and made his way to the small balcony, looming over the streets yet still blocked by taller buildings. 

so much for sightseeing.

he pulled out a lighter of his own from his tight ripped jeans, lighting the cancer stick before resting it between his lips with ease, like he's done many times before. he took a large inhale before pulling it past his chapped lips, fingers removing the stick before resting along the railing of the balcony.

he had to admit, for being on the run, he felt so relaxed. he was an intelligent man, one who knew how to outsmart the so called 'smartest' people in the system. 

he's been on the run for weeks, committing more crimes as he went. this time however, he found himself a little accomplice, someone who could look liable for his crimes incase he ever got caught. plus, the girl was a good cash bank for him. plus.. she was pretty. michael was getting so bored with trying to seduce and look at older woman.

why not keep her pretty face around.

the red headed man took another quick inhale of the poisonous smoke that settled in his lungs comfortably. with the following cloud of smoke fogging his vision, a quiet voice spoke up from behind him. 

"goodmorning." charlie spoke, voice quiet whilst her fists rubbed at her eyes to rid any leftover sleep. michael hummed back before mumbling a quiet "morning, sunshine."

she moved beside him, arms supporting her on the balcony railing. her dark brown eyes trailed from the sky over to the tall skyscrapers, a small frown finding its way to her pouty lips. 

"these stupid buildings are blocking to view of the city." she mumbled, looking over at the taller man who only tapped his cigarette to drop the burnt ashes. michael turned to look at her and smiled softly in return, watching the way her pouty lips slowly spread into a smile.

"you read my mind, sugar." michael responded before returning back to his stub of a cigarette. 

charlie eyed the man before eyeing the cigarette, quirking a brow in confusion. she didn't know michael had any on him. she assumed that much from michael asking for one back in the previous ghost town. 

"say.. where'd you get the cig?"

"your bag." michael responded nonchalantly.

"you went through my bag?!"