Chapter 1

Cole Wagner closed the bulletin after he sat down in church. The pastor started his sermon, and even though he tried hard to listen, his thoughts continued to drift. Brushing a hand through his dark brown hair, he inwardly sighed. He was a good person, at least he thought he was. But every single one of his siblings had found the love of their life, including his twin sister. All of them but him.

He looked ahead of him. His younger sister Olivia was sitting with her head leaning on her fiance, Jack's, shoulders. That was love right there if he ever wanted to see it up close. Farther up ahead his youngest sister, Grace sat next to her husband, Hunter, their newborn son Aeden laying against her shoulder, asleep. On the other side of the church his older brother Dominic and his wife Chloe sat holding their newborn daughter, Lesley. His sister Nicole sat two rows ahead of him with her fiance, Seth.

He was fine with it. Okay, maybe he wasn't. He wasn't desperate or anything, he was willing to wait, but it stunk. Women were attracted to him for his looks. Not his personality. One date with them, he mentioned his faith, and they were out. But he kept on waiting. God had a plan. Even if it meant he was single for the rest of his life.

He tuned back into the sermon and listened for the rest of it. Afterwards, he mingled with the congregation and chatted with them.

"Cole, will you hold Lesley for me?" Chloe popped up next to him.

He looked at his adorable little niece. "Of course."

"Thank you so much. I'll be right back." Chloe handed Lesley to him.

Cole tickled Lesley's neck, "Who's a cute little girl?" he cooed. She giggled.

"Cole, can you hold-oh, nevermind." Grace laughed as she stood next to him, holding Aeden.

Cole grinned at his sister, "Yeah I can hold him, where are you off to?"

Grace helped him maneuver so he could hold both babies. "Bathroom." She grinned.

"Oh. Where's Hunter?"

"Helping put away the worship equipment."

"Ah."

"Yep." Grace rushed off.

He held the children for a few minutes taking compliments from elderly folks who thought they were adorable. Also asking where his wife was and why she left him with two hooligans.

"You look like you have your hands full." Olivia commented when she walked up to him with Jack.

"Agreed." Jack laughed. "Here let me help you." He took Lesley from him and cradled her in his arms.

Olivia stroked Lesley's hair and smiled up at Jack, "You'd make a good father." She said softly.

He kissed her forehead, "And you would make a good mother."

"Cole, can I hold him?" Nicole asked. He turned to Nicole, glad for the interruption.

"Oh, sure." He handed Aeden to his sister and smiled at Seth. Seth played with Aeden's toes making the little boy smile.

Cole's phone buzzed. He looked at it. His partner, Kaden. He waved to his siblings and stepped to a quiet corner. "Kaden?"

"Hey. We need you ASAP."

Cole straightened. "Where?"

"Idaho. Secluded forest. Tell no one the address. Cover your tracks." Kaden rattled off the address in hushed tones.

"Got it. Anything else I need to know?" he asked.

"I emailed you the details. See you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yes."

Click.

Cole sighed. Work life. At least he wouldn't drown himself in sorrows over not having a woman in his life.

He strode out of church, straight to his white Ford Explorer. Time to get packing.

~~~~~

Hazel Peterson was ushered into a loud helicopter by men in black suits. It was unsettling, but that was the least of her worries. Someone had just shot at her. In public. Had she not bent down to pick up the receipt she dropped, she would have been dead meat. She wasn't sure if her heart would ever stop racing.

Now, after a direct threat that went straight to the government, two hours later, she found herself sitting in a helicopter with no clue where she was headed.

She shrunk into her seat. Tapping the shoulder of the agent next to her she asked him, "Where are we going?"

He turned to her, "That's confidential ma'am."

She got a glimpse of his badge and ID as he faced forward again. Kaden Greene. She tapped his shoulder again, "What about my stuff?"

"That has been taken care of."

"I have a job you know."

"Also taken care of. Just sit tight and relax."

"Hard when I've just been shot at."

That earned her a smile. Kaden shook his head, "You are witty."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should."

She smiled and leaned back in her seat, closing her eyes. She might as well relax. Who knows how long this trip would be.

Although it was kind of hard to relax when she had just been shot at.

And that was no joke.