Chapter 21

Hazel felt her feet hit the cornfield softly. The parachute landed on top of her and Cole. It took some effort, but they managed to get out of the tangled mess.

Once standing solid ground Hazel turned to Cole, her eyes brimming with tears. "I can't believe we actually did that." Her anxiety? Gone with the wind. Why? Only God knows.

"Those are happy tears right?"

"Yeah."

"Oh good, because I didn't jump out of a plane for nothing."

"We're alive."

"What in the tarnation is going on?" A forty-something couple emerged from the corn.

Cole looked at them, "I'm Cole Wagner of the US Marshals and this is Hazel Peterson, a lawyer. We just skydived off a plane because James Whatcom is a serial killer targeting Hazel. He was the pilot of that plane and jumping off was the only option."

The wife gasped, "How awful. Come with us."

An explosion shook the earth.

The husband pointed to a huge smoke cloud emerging from where the explosion was, "The plane?"

"Probably. Do either of you have a phone?" Cole asked.

The woman fished one out of her pocket. "Here."

Cole stepped to the side while he made a call. "Dom? Yeah, I'm fine I have Hazel with me. Yes, she's fine. Get out here right now. There was just an explosion I'm guessing you heard it. Yeah, see you soon."

Hazel stepped to Cole's side when he hung up, "It's over."

"It finally is."