Memories Forever Cherished

My name is Rem, and I am currently working as a maid for Roswaal Mathers. My job consists of cleaning, cooking, maintenance and also personal guards for his mansion.

Yesterday was quite different compared to the usual, as we had two new members residing in the mansion. One boy with black hair, wearing strange attire, and the other a child with snow white hair. I do not know the specifics of what transpired with Emilia-sama that relates to them, but at the very least I am expected to show proper respect to our guest. Even if they might look out of place.

However, as the day went by, that scent was present, ever so slightly. It was almost unnoticeable to me, and frankly, it infuriates me how I could have possibly missed it. This smell, this light but clearly present stench, can only belong to those Witch Cultists.

It was for this reason that I have opted to speak as little as possible to not incite my brewing hostility. Even now, as I stand in front of the doorway, watching the boy falling into a deep sleep, the thought of ending his life circulates in my head. But I can't.

According to Beatrice-san, just having the scent doesn't prove that you belong to the cult. Although such a thought of a person being born with such a scent is a difficult thing for me to believe, I can only trust that judgment to be the right one, for someone as unknowledgeable as me.

Besides, if my actions were to hinder my sister's work, then I truly won't be able to forgive myself.

With that, I heave a sigh, before quietly pace myself over to the bedside. Leaning over him, reaching for his exposed neck, I pinched at it, awakening him from his slumber.

"..mm?" The boy muttered, his eyes still barely open. The scent was still faint.

"I have finished your uniform." I calmly spoke, making him widen his eyes in response.

"Ah, already? Um...Rem-san, right?"

"Yes."

"Thanks!" He spoke in an awfully cheerful tone.

"Here, try it on and see if it fits." I toss the clothes over as it lands on his head.

"Alright, but..."

"What is it?" I looked at him, noticing his downward gaze. Following his eyes, I found a girl sleeping soundly on his lap. She was in a position where any sudden movements would likely wake her up.

Seeing his precarious situation, I let out another sigh, before turning back to him. Placing my hands below the girl's head and shoulder, I then gently lifted her up, allowing the boy to slide away. Once he was done, I slowly lowered down to the sheets.

Hmm? Isn't this... As I got nearer to the girl, something that I hadn't picked up before entered my nose. It was similar to what the boy had, only fainter. Or perhaps his was just more noticeable? Nevertheless, this only furthers my suspicion.

What kind of coincidence would it be for two people to appear bearing the smell of the witch? No matter what, such an occurrence can only bring danger, even if these two don't have any connections to that cursed cult.

"Um..is everything alright, Rem-san?" The boy suddenly called out to me as I was deep in thought.

"...Yes, nothing is wrong."

Even so...this is still based on my own thoughts. No matter what I think or believe, I simply don't have enough evidence nor concrete reasons to be any more suspicious of them. I am just a maid, so I should only focus on doing that. I'll just have to make sure that these two don't do anything abnormal.

"So then, how is the uniform?" Settling my thoughts, I inquire the boy.

"It fits perfectly. You're really amazing at this." He says as he flares his arms around. With his hands still inside the sleeves, it made him look quite ridiculous. But at least it fits, so I suppose my job is done.