xvii

Years later, they had lived happy lives in Bogota. Bruno occasionally came to celebrate holidays and milestones with them. They do sometimes visit the Encanto secretly, and visit the tombs of Julieta and Mirabel.

They go to church on Sundays, and pray that Julieta and Mirabel would finally rest in peace, praying for their souls.

A part of his hair has greyed, he walks by himself to the park, talks to himself, pondering on how they should have been in the ruralities, living a simple, but happy life if they were still alive.

He just walks around Bogota by himself, but his walking is more of a pace. The locals uptown call him "a troubled man with a troubled past" and that seemed to be true. He used to be a simple kid who would always hit lampposts and get treated by Julieta. He used to be a simple boy who would play football with his best friend Felix. Now, he lost everything.

But even if he never forgets, he learned of Alma's untimely death and he, his children, and Bruno returned to the Encanto for the funeral.

Alma was buried on the other side of the river, near the place where Pedro made his greatest sacrifice and where the miracle was first given.

He went back home, took a seat in the dining hall, and stared at the portraits with tears in his eyes.

"Go find out what's wrong with him!" Luisa said as a tear left their father's eye.

Isabela walked towards him, and lightly patted her father's shoulder. "Watcha got there, pa?"

A comfortable silence filled the room as she waited for her father's response.

"They're here. They're right here."

...

Thank you guys for supporting this story! It started out as a completely random idea on a cold night in early January, then I chatted my friends about that and we decided that I should make it into a fanfic. I got my best friend's help, and completed the story in 3 weeks in a Google Docs document. I never expected to receive thousands of views. Anyways, thank you so much, your support means the world to me, and look out for my next fic!

-marahuyonghiraya, february 16 2022, 9:21 PM utc +8