The Sorting Hat

Everybody piled out of the Hogwarts Express and Soon, everyone was standing on a tiny, dark platform. Then, a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students. " Firs' years! Firs' years over here! C'mon, follow me - any more Firs' years? Mind yer' step, now! Firs' years follow me!" A familiar voice shouted.

"Hagrid!" I beamed at him.

All of us followed Hagrid down a steep, narrow path with trees on either side of the path.

" Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec,' Hagrid called.

There it was. Perched at the top of the mountain. Hogwarts Castle. I have never seen Hogwarts so beautiful before. We got into the boats. " No more'n four to a boat!"Hagrid reminded us. I got into a boat with Hermione, Harry and Ron.

******

My mom was at the entrance hall, greeting us. 'No pressure, but make sure you get sorted into gryffindor,' my mom whispered with a mischievous grin. I smiled back and faced the doors of the great hall.

My mom straightened her hat and cleared her throat.

"Welcome to Hogwarts,The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.
The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.'

"I shall return when we are ready for you," my mom winked at me.

*****

I straightened my cloak and put on my confident face. My palms were moisturised from my sweat. I have no idea why I'm so nervous. I've seen the ceremony every year. Maybe it's because of the thought that I might not be sorted into gryffindor? Maybe it's because of all the people in the audience? Get a grip, Rose, it's just a hat. I tried to tell myself.

'Now, first-years, form a line please.' My mom's back from the great hall. I got even more nervous. I took deep breaths and calmed myself down.

'Rose? Are you ok? You look pale.' Hermione whispered to me while
We were walking through the great hall.

'Yeah.' I could have said more but that was all I could manage.

Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!

The sorting hats song snapped me back to reality.

I heard my mom going through the list of students, in alphabetical order. I was slightly shaking by then.

'Granger, Hermione!' My mom called out My friend's name.

She ran to the stool and put the hat onto her head.

'GRYFFINDOR!' shouted the hat.

My friend eagerly ran to the gryffindor table, I just hope I can  join her. I mean, ravenclaw isn't that bad but I liked gryffindor.

'Malfoy, Draco!' A blonde boy sauntered onto the platform like he owned the place. Urgh, I hope we don't ever meet, he must come from a 'pureblood' family. So proud of himself.

'SLYTHERIN!' The hat screamed the moment it touched the platinum blond hair.

I thought so. He must be happy with himself. I rolled my eyes.

'Mcgonagall,Rose!' I walked onto the platform, shared a look with my mom, and sat down on the stool. The hat covered my eyes. I thought,' not slytherin, not slytherin!' 'Not slytherin, huh? Alright then, GRYFFINDOR!"

My mom and I shared a look again while I was walking towards the gryffindor table, but this time, a relieved and happy look.

I sat down between Fred and Hermione, my favorite senior and friend.

'I'm so glad we're in the same house!' Hermione hugged me tightly.

'Same here.'

'Potter,Harry!' My head snapped up, but I wasn't the only one, all of the other people also had their eyes on Harry.

The hat took some time, and then, 'GRYFFINDOR!'