chapter 9.

The car was sitting in the front with the valet standing there next to it.

"Mr. Styles" he nodded

Harry snatched the keys out of his hand and brushed past him, nearly knocking him over. He drove off before we could even buckle our seat belts.

"Harry, calm down" Veronica spoke

This was the first time she didn't call him Mr. Styles.

"How can I calm down when he has the audacity to" he stopped himself.

We caught each other's eye in the rearview mirror.

"We have to get back for the meeting" he cleared his throat.

We drove back to the office. I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

Before Lunch.
Harry.

The waiter brought out the salads and drinks. I took a sip of my scotch and began to eat my salad. Looking up I saw Pia pushing her food around the plate.

"You need to eat something" I cleared my throat

"I'm...I'm just struggling...you know what was it your friend called it? PTSD?" she looked up at me.

I didn't know what to say for a moment. I knew I needed to pick my words carefully.

"I...Yeah that's what he called it. Have you spoken to him?"

"No...I...he's the only doctor I've seen for my injuries" she told me before looking back down at her plate.

I knew apologizing wouldn't do anything or change what happened but I knew I had to

"I'm sorry that happened. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm sorry you have to see him everyda-" I went on before she cut me off.

"You won't let me quit"

"You don't have to"

"What makes you think that? Because you're partner now? What are you going to do? What canyou do? Fire him?"

"Yes"

"I never asked you to do any of this"

"And you don't have to"

I straighten my posture as she opens her mouth to speak again.

"Why do you care so much?" I ask him honestly

I'm in awe.

"Because I'm human, you're young and you need-"

"Need? What is it that I need? A man to save me? I don't need anyone to save me" she went off

I interrupted her this time.

"I never said that. If you'd keep your mouth shut for a moment and let me finish my thought you'd come to see that I was going to say you needed help and I extended a hand. You're hurting. I can see that"

"But you don't even know me. You don't need to save me. I don't need you"

I shook my head and laughed. I couldn't help but laugh. I understand why she's reacting the way she is. She was taught this or at least taught herself to fend for herself and that she didn't need anyone's help. She excelled after the incident but never fully trusted anyone.

"I never said you needed me. You're human and-"

"I'm aware I'm human, I'm aware I make mistakes"

I decided to test her, push her because she can handle it.

"You and your mouth" I continued to laugh taking another sip of my scotch