Theft

*Jeongchan chapter

"Did you manage to get it?"

"It wasn't there boss. The target wasn't there either."

Jeongin kicked a stone out of the way while walking down the sidewalk. He had his phone pressed close to his ear, talking while his voice got more quiet with every word he said.

"Innie? Why do you sound so sad?"

Now with every step he took he felt as if the ground got more distant, the sound his shoes made on the pavement getting far away. He turned his head back to the house he just left, scanning it to at least make sure he didn't leave any obvious evidence.

"I am so sorry. I failed." He pressed his sleeve against his mouth, muffling the sound of the sob that escaped from his lips.

"Innie."

A long pause, a pause that made Jeongin feel even worse. He disappointed them.

"I'm not mad at you. Take deep breaths and come home yeah?" Minhos voice on the other side of the line was soft, choosing the words wisely.

It started raining, and of course he had nothing to protect himself from it.

"Thank you Minho." Jeongin hung up, tears mixing with the small drops of rain.

"Hey you! Are you okay?" A man approached him. He seemed around his age, slightly older, holding an umbrella above his head. "You're completely drenched, you must be freezing baby."

Jeongin didn't notice that he had stopped walking. He was just standing in the middle of the side walk, looking up at the dark grey sky.

Carefully the other reached out his hand, softly touching Jeongins cheek. An intimate touch he received from a complete stranger right now. A little gesture that had the same effect as someone asking you whether you are doing well when you are trying to hold back your tears.

Jeongin held up his hands covered by the sleeves of his hoodie against his eyes.

Stupid feelings.

"I'm fine." Jeongin took away his hands again and showed the stranger the best fake smile he could.

"Where are you heading to?" The stranger looked at him, his eyes were so full. Full of care.

"It's none of your business."

Then the rain stopped hitting his face, drenching his clothes, wetting his hair.

He looked up, and saw the umbrella above him.

"Let me treat you to a warm drink. You seem like you need it."

Without the stranger even waiting for an answer Jeongin felt himself getting dragged away.

"I'm Chan by the way." The stranger turned his head to look at Jeongin for a short second, before continuing to walk to a cafe near them. The sign already came into their sight.

Jeongin let himself get dragged. Normally he would free his arm and walk away, not wanting to be bothered by a random person inviting him for a drink.

But right now it did sound good. He was so tired.

"Hi Chan, i'm Jeongin." They walked into the cafe, walking up to the counter.

"Jeongin, such a pretty name. Do you like hot chocolate?"

"I do Chan."

After they received their hot chocolates Chan walked over to a more distant corner in the cafe. It wasn't busy anyways, only a few people occupying the seats at the cafe. Chan sat down, their spot the furthest away from everybody else.

"Hey."

Chan hummed, lifting his head to meet Jeongins eyes while he took off the leather jacket that hung loosely on his shoulders. Now that he watched him closely he noticed how attractive the man in front of him was. Broad shoulders, slightly curly hair and a soft smile on his lips.

Jeongin felt the blush creep up on his cheeks from the intense gaze.

"What are you doing?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Chan furrowed his eyebrows, looking at the boy.

Jeongin looked at him confused, so he went on.

"You looked sad. And I thought i'd try to make your day better. Sometimes talking to a stranger who isn't playing an important role in your life can help. I promise I won't judge you."

Again the tears welled up in Jeongins eyes, his mind still overwhelmed with all the feelings. But this time he didn't dry them away, he just looked down and slowly let them roll over his cheeks.

Instead of questioning him further, which was what Jeongin would have expected, he felt a hand on his knee. Softly caressing it, not too much touch, not to little. Just a bit trust and a bit comfort.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt?

To tell a stranger what made his heart feel heavy in his chest and his throat dry.

What made his hands shake and his mind wander.

He knew his friends would be willing to listen too, would tell him that it's okay and would try their best to make him feel better. But he didn't want to share this with them. He didn't want to share his biggest weakness to them.

Failure.

He was so scared of failure.

"Are you sure?" Jeongin asked, searching for any sign of annoyance in Chans face. He couldn't find it.

"I am or I wouldn't sit here."

Jeongin took a deep breath. Then he sipped on his hot chocolate, which was now at the perfect temperature.

"I am scared."

"Of what Jeongin?" The other kept his hand on Jeongins knee, his thumb gently running up and down the harsh material of his jeans.

Jeongin chuckled. "It's very complicated. Let me say it like that. I have a very close friend, he is like family at this point. He picked me up when I was all alone and took me in. He took care of me and taught me many things. And now I am so scared to disappoint him." He sighed.

"You know Jeongin, he seems to care about you when he offered you a home to stay. So I don't think he will be mad at you or anything. People make mistakes, it's human." Chan spoke, sharing his advice.

Jeongin nodded, listening to the other.

"Talk to him about this, you'll feel better trust me."

Right then a notification popped up on Jeongins phone, which was laying on the table, screen facing upwards. He took it and read through the message.

*1 new unread message from Minho right now:

Where are you Jeongin??

He had completely forgotten to text him. A wave of discomfort washed over him. He knew Minho and the way he got worried quickly when Jeongin didn't come home on time, called on time or sent a message.

"I think I should get going." Jeongin laughed, showing Chan the message.

"Of course, i'll walk you home." Chan already pulled Jeongin up, leaving the cafe with him.

"It's okay, I have to take the bus anyways. If you insist you can walk me there."

Chan nodded, opening up the umbrella once again and pulling Jeongin closer than necessary. They went over to the bus stop, which wasn't even a 5 minute walk away.

There was his bus already. Before he could go in Chan held him tightly, hugging him for a second. Then he let go.

"Chan?"

"Yeah Jeongin?" The older looked at him again with those warm, welcoming eyes. Jeongin felt a tug on his heart, and maybe it did skip a beat.

"Thank you."

If only you knew.