Chapter 25: Ladies on Parade

The next three days passed in a blur.

I followed the training schedule rigorously, putting all of my energy into improving my abilities as a fighter rather than plotting against everyone. I put my faith in our Doctore to get me out of there once the time was right. Until then, I was to prepare myself for a fight.

Evander wasn't too keen on this plan, but he really didn't have a choice in the matter. He had been improving in health lately, staying awake for hours at a time and even being able to sit up and move without too much pain. The only time I could see him was when our Doctore stood in the threshold of his chambers and I pretended to be conversing with him, even though I was really talking past him to Evander. With this awkward exchange, it was quite impossible for Evander and I to talk about our relationship... for which I was thankful.

We still hadn't decided how to introduce Evander to Tiberius as a potential gladiator without seeming suspicious, but for now we just had to focus on getting him better.

I was also worried about how Reegan was progressing in her new position. I wanted to get her away from Shailene as soon as possible, but there was nothing I could do until our Doctore presented us with a plan. All I could do was pray that Reegan could hold her own.

The only person I wasn't worried about was Bash. He had been progressing as one of the best gladiators all week. With some more practise, he could be in league with Lucius or Quintus. I decided it was best to keep him in the dark about our escape plan until necessary; no need to worry him over nothing. Instead, we spoke about brighter things in our shared cell before bed. He spoke of his past and I spoke of mine... well, I gave him a highly edited version. For his own safety, he didn't need to know who I really was.

On the third night, Bash and I were washing up with the rest of the men in the gladiator's bathing room when we were interrupted by the presence of Tiberius. He was heavily guarded, but he still moved into the room confidently with a smile. He knew that no man would dare try to hurt him; we held our ground out of obligated respect, but mostly out of legitimate fear.

He clasped his hands together in excitement. "Gentlemen, you've all done remarkably well this week and I wish to reward you. Sextus has brought his ladies by for an hour of fun!"

The men began to cheer at the prospect of fulfilling their sexual desires.

"You know the rules; if I hear that you have abused this privilege by hurting his merchandise in any way, you will be punished."

The men nodded in unison, "Yes, Dominus."

"They are waiting for you outside in the training grounds."

And with that, he exited the bathing room and made his way back to his quarters. As soon as we heard the distant sound of a gate closing, the gladiators scrambled to leave the bathing room to find a girl. Most of them had no shame, leaving the room without any coverings. I guess it made sense; they would be losing them again in a minute anyhow.

Bash and I were the last to leave.

"Do you have lover back home?"

I turned to my friend, "No. Do you?"

"My wife died many years ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

He had a look of resolve on his face as he declared, "I think it's time..."

He walked past me and made his way outside to find a girl. I wasn't about to judge him for his decision.

I made my way outside to see what the fuss was about. About twenty women stood in a line, facing the men with their most seductive smiles and taunting figures.