Chapter 31: The Wrong Moment

It was around midnight when Evander put our plan in motion.

He was in the cell across from Bash and I with another gladiator who was just as lifeless as the rest of the fighters.

Bash and I waited impatiently for Evander to set us free, but first he had to get himself out. He said that he would get the keys from the guard, but I had no idea how he was going to do it.

Corvin was on duty in the gladiator's quarters near our cells. As he strolled by Evander's cell, Evander pulled out a chunk of bread and began to blatantly eat it in front of him.

"Boy, where did you get that bread?!"

Evander feigned surprise as he quickly stuffed it behind his back.

"What bread?"

"The chunk that you're eating! Did you take an extra helping for dinner?!"

"I would never!"

"And I'm supposed to take your word on that?"

"I am an honourable man."

Corvin chuckled. "No gladiator is honourable. That's how you lot get yourselves into this mess in the first place."

"Maybe so, but I did not steal this bread... not this time."

"Oh, so you are now acknowledging the fact that you do have bread?"

"Uh, no. I do not."

"Cut the crap, boy. I saw you."

"Fine, I do have bread." Evander pulled it out from behind his back. "But it's my piece from supper. I saved it."

"Bad move, kid. I have to confiscate anything that does not belong in a cell at this hour, and unfortunately for you that includes food. Hand it over."

"But it's mine!"

"You were supposed to eat your entire meal at the appointed time. If you don't, we are to assume it's stolen despite your confession. So give it here, boy!"

Evander began to mumble curses under his breath, but he obeyed. He thrust the bread through the bars for Corvin to take.

The guard smiled and took a bite of the bread. "Maybe this will teach you to follow the rules..." He continued to stuff his face as he made his way back to his spot on the wall.

I turned to Evander, confused by his show. What did he accomplish?

Evander just put a finger to his lips and went back to faking slumber.

Bash and I did the same.

About ten minutes later, we heard a small crash from the guard post. Corvin had slumped to the floor in a deep drowse; he was completely out cold.

Evander wasted no time. He jumped up and began fidgeting with the lock on his cell. He used two small twigs to poke around inside the key hole, listening for that satisfying click.

Having a blacksmith on our side was certainly proving to be an asset. When the lock popped open, I was so delighted that I could have kissed him.

A passing thought I intend to ignore...

Evander jumped out of the cell as quietly as he could manage, and then made his way over to Corvin. He grabbed the man under his arms and dragged him back to his cell. He dropped Corvin inside, grabbed the man's dagger, sword and keys, and then he draped his burlap blanket over the man to disguise his true face and attire. Evander closed the cell door and relocked it with the new prisoner inside.

"How did you do that?" I whispered.

"I stuffed one of those leaves you used against me in Kent into the bread."