Chapter 35: Shattered Hopes

Sextus led me towards Shailene's private chambers. His smug smile remained the entire way, but it now held a hint of mischief.

"What's that look for?" I questioned.

He chuckled at a private joke. "Nothing of consequence."

"Why do you oblige our Domina with such matters?"

"Because, dear boy, it is better to have people in your debt than be in theirs. I may one day need a favour, and I should like to think that Shailene will not hesitate to come to my assistance... no matter the request."

I frowned. "What are you suggesting?"

"Simply that if Tiberius' loving wife wishes to keep her infidelity a secret, she must remain at my mercy until I find that we are even. I have indulged her addiction for quite some time now, helping her hide her lovers from her husband." He laughed. "You know, it was I who suggested she have men thrown over the cliff when they prove to be a threat."

"The two of you make a vicious pair." I remarked coldly.

"Yes, well the art of seduction and discretion is something that I excel at in my line of business, and Shailene was willing to learn in exchange for her loyalty. Connections are important in times such as these, and I'm willing to obtain them however possible."

"I can't imagine anyone of good morals and common sense falling into your traps..."

"Those who do not take advantage of my generosity are fools. If I am willing to give them what they most desire in exchange for their loyalty, they would be wise to take it."

"I would never strike a bargain with the likes of you."

His arrogant smile widened. "The world turns on secrets, and those who come out on top are always the ones who acquire the most."

It wasn't difficult to grasp his meaning by the tone of his voice. There was no point in pretending any longer. "You knew about Evander."

"Of course."

"Since that night we brought you the new whores." I stated flatly.

"It was quite obvious. And after my last visit here, it didn't take me long to discover where you were hiding the boy."

"Why didn't you expose us to Tiberius?"

"I enjoyed holding a secret over your heads, just in case..."

"But Tiberius knows about Evander now. You missed your chance."

"I wanted to see how it all played out."

"You were curious?"

"Most definitely."

"Well your curiosity crippled you in the end; you lost your leverage over us. For someone who claims to feed off of other's secrets, you sure are doing a hell of a job messing it up."

He smiled. "But you are mistaken; the same secret still applies. Tiberius doesn't know that you were harbouring the boy in his training grounds ever since the night in the pits. I'm sure he just thinks the boy snuck in that morning he fought the Doctore. He might also have his suspicions on how he did it. Maybe with your help? How do you think he'll react when I tell him the truth? Give all the names of those who helped you get the boy in, just to watch them get tossed over the cliff for their dishonesty and scheming?"

The thought of Evander, Bash, Reegan and the scruffy man getting tossed brought a chill up my spine. I frowned at his threat, "Then what do you want? Why haven't you told him yet?"

"Because the outcome of such a secret will have little advantage to me, especially while I have obtained a far better secret of yours...

It took me a moment to understand what he was suggesting. "You mean-"