Chapter 4

"Please visit again!" Tamayo called. 

Sabito shouldered the basket satchel that Tamayo had filled with food for our journey. She had tried to hand it to Lumae, since Sabito was carrying a heavy bag for Urokodaki along with everything else Tamayo insisted they take, but he had snatched it away, leaving her carrying absolutely nothing. 

When they were out of Tamayo's sight, Lumae tried to take the satchel. 

"I can carry something!" She protested.

Sabito huffed defiantly. "It's rude for a man to make a lady carry something." 

"Please?"

"No." Sabito said flatly.  

"Why not?"

Sabito cracked a smile. "You're becoming pushier." 

Lumae shut her mouth. 

"No, no! That's good! You're voicing your opinion." 

Lumae's eyes lit.  "Does that mean I get to carry the satchel?" 

"No." 

<~>-Magical time skip-

After they'd stopped to eat, Sabito let Lumae carry the basket. 

Probably because there was nothing in it, but she was happy to do something. 

Sabito pointed at the horizon. "Sagiri Mountain is just south of here." 

He continued walking, then stopped when Lumae ceased to follow.

"You walked all this way... carrying me?"  

He brushed off the question. "Yes, and?" 

"Why?" Lumae wondered aloud.

Sabito didn't seem to notice. "You were sleeping, I didn't want to wake you up."

"Do I really mean that much to you?"

He turned and dropped the pack, swerving to face her as he began to say something.

Lumae didn't give him a chance to speak, not even a chance to open his mouth before she voiced her emotions, her opinions, her questions, her rage.

"I'm auctioned off because I have these things in my head-" she nearly stabbed herself in the eyes- "I'm bought because of that. So many men have pretty women behind them, treating them like slaves and making them cook and clean, and they can't do anything because they're -" 

"Owned." 

He paused abruptly, searching for the right words.  

"I swear over my life. I will never act like them. And if I do-" 

He removed a knife from his belt- the one he gave her- and pressed it into her palm.

"I want you to stab me. Just like I did the owner. Anyone who treats you like she did, I don't want you to hesitate. They don't deserve to live."

Her breath caught in her throat. 

Sabito stood his ground boldly.

"Tell me. Have I messed up? Treated you like an object? Taken your freedom, made you a slave? Have I caused such terror inside you, you can't even speak? Tell me. Show me."

His directions rang in her ears. She looked at him, shocked.

She lifted the knife.

Bringing it down to his hand, she set set the grip in his palm. 

"You aren't."

She dropped her hands. 

"I'm sorry. You defended me from the owner, that should've been enough to prove-" 

"No." 

He smiled, his lilac eyes slightly squinting. 

"You did good." 

He pressed his forehead against hers."

"I love you, Goldenrod." 

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

Thank you so much for reading! 

-Hail