Chapter 19

"Why hello there."

It took loads of concentration, but Lumae managed to open her eyes, thinking the greeting was for her.

But it wasn't.

She found herself on the ground, covered in crimson blood while a child bawled somewhere in the distance.

A child....

She shifted her head, her sights setting on a little Japanese girl, being shrouded by her older sibling's corpse. Both of their eyes locked, blinking back at each other.

"So you're the reinforcements, huh? Only one of you isn't enough."

Lumae heard the shifting of feet somewhere off to her left.

" But you won't be lonely. Your comerades are waiting for you in the underworld."

Who was he talking to?

"See, one, two, three... Nine! Nine demon slayer corpses litter the ground! And I sucked the innards from five children!"

The little girl lost it and started bawling again.

"Oops... One's still alive. Anyway, they'll all hold hands as they cross to the other side. That particular one-" he pointed at Lumae, "-gave quite a hassle. I'll take her head for the prize of the day."

"YOU MONSTER!"

Rengoku.

"I'LL KILL YOU!!"

Heat singed Lumae's nostrils as fire erupted from his sword, taking a wild swing for the demon.

The demon jumped up, raised the flute to his lips, and played his little tune.

"Rembo- Nagashi..." Lumae whispered.

Lumae recognized the song now. How dare he use the beautiful tune for something as horrible as this.

Rengoku stopped fighting and clamped his palms over his ears, katana still in hand.

"YOU CAN'T MOVE!" The flute demon screeched in glee. "YOU CAN'T FIGHT AND HOLD YOUR EARS AT THE SAME TIME!"

His eyes glazed over in terror, stuck in his position. A huge debate was going on in Rengoku's head, if he could sacrifice one thing - just one, he could save the little girl's life.

Rengoku squeezed his eyes shut and in one solid push, he could hear almost nothing.

Lumae heard a sickening crunch as he made himself completely invulnerable to the flute demon's song.

The flute demon stopped. "Wait- WAIT, NO!!!"

And in one, flaming flash, his head rolled off his shoulders.

"NOOOO!!! NOOOO!!! I WAS GOING TO JOIN THE TWELVE KIZU...K..." The demon's mouth flaked into black ash, horror glazing his eyes.

"Come." Rengoku said loudly. "Lets get you to safety." He grabbed the little girl's hand and guided her away from the corpses, exiting the meadow.

Lumae stared up at the ashen gray sky.

Poor Zenitsu.... Giyu and Urokodaki are still waiting for me to come back home...

Her head gradually fell to the left, looking at the way out of the meadow.

If only I was strong enough... I just needed to survive... One more day...

Suddenly the footsteps stopped, and rushed, rapid footsteps started to get louder.

The slayer entered the meadow once again, holding the little girl.

"Golden eyes, golden eyes,-"

Rengoku's gaze locked on Lumae. "HER! Her!" He pointed at her, looking at the little girl for confirmation. She bobbed her little head up and down, wiping stray tears off her face.

He rushed over and squatted at her side, lifting her chin so he could get a better look at her.

"Oh lord... She IS still alive." He debated the best way to transport Lumae. In her wounded condition, she wouldn't have the ability to crawl, much less walk.

"She's hurt." The girl said, pointing at her stomach.

His eyes drifted down to her abdomen. "Oh my lord... I don't know how she's even alive..."

The little girl shushed him. "You're too loud! More of them will come!  Hurry!"

Rengoku locked eyes with Lumae. "Can you hear me, Lumae-san?"

She swallowed a mouthful of blood. "Y-yes.."

"I am going to carry you, please stay still. You need medical attention."

He put one arm under her shoulders and one under her knees, lifting her up.

No, this is wrong, only Sabito's ever held me like that....

"Stay close!" He told the little girl. She clamped one hand on his uniform.

"Lumae- san, don't struggle. We're going to help you."

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

I promise this isn't a Rengoku x OC book.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, be back next week for a new one!

-Hail