Chapter 12

"One ticket, Miss?"

Lumae broke out of her trance. "Yes, yes please."

She handed him the money and boarded the steam train.

Lumae didn't know exactly where she was going. She didn't have a plan at all. All she knew is that she'd train forever to become a Hashira.

She had to find someone who would train her.

The conductor came around, punching their tickets and offering complimentary tea.

With one hand clasped around the pendant on her neck, Lumae drifted into an uneasy, very light sleep.

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

Her eyes opened at the sound of the train grinding to a halt.

"Just in time. I thought I would have to wake you up."

Startled, she grabbed the basket and blinked the sleep out of her eyes until her vision focused on the man that had spoken.

He looked elderly, but he sat straight and tall. His kimono was decorated with triangles.

"Where do you plan on going? Are you visiting someone?"

He eyed the basket.

"I'm looking for a Sensei." She said cautiously.

"A Sensei for what? Martial arts?"

"Yes. Possibly swordfighting too."

The train doors opened and the conductor started to get everybody out.

The old man leaned in closer. "How about swordfighting with a special touch?"

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

"I am Jigoro Kuwajima. Former Thunder Hashira."

"Will I be training with others?"

"Yes. They might be a little younger-"

"I understand."

They approached a set of sliding doors.

"Meet Zenitsu and Kaigaku."

A little boy about Makomo's age looked up, sniffling. He had a messy mop of black hair, and was wearing a kimono similar to Kuwajima-Sensei.

The other boy was standing against the wall with his arms crossed, muttering to himself. He also wore a kimono with triangles.

Kuwajima cleared his throat. "This is our new student."

The little boy with black hair looked up. "A girl?"

That caught the other boy's attention too. "Seriously? A girl? She has no place in thunder breathing! Send her to the butterfly mansion! That's where all the girls who are learning breathing techniques go. Or put her in Love breathing!"

"Kaigaku!"

"She's older than us too. Shouldn't she have learned earlier?"

"Stop!" The other boy yelled. "She can still learn!"

"You only care because she's a girl! You're such a wimp, Zenitsu."

"Shut up!"

"BOYS!" Kuwajima yelled.

They both fell silent.

"Kaigaku. You don't have to talk to her. And yes, Zenitsu is right. You can learn at any age if you are strong enough."