Moonlight

Her heart ached in her chest, and with every step it felt as if she were being weighed down with more and more lead, which filled her stomach like a frigid nagging hunger. But, she was still forever moving forwards, and never fully satisfied.... The night was cold, the soft wind piercing her like ice. The sky was light, yet its beauty and color could give little to her in the means of comfort, just like every other night, yet especially upon one such as this.

       Amity stepped forwards, inching her way through the streets, ignoring passersby as she crept down the dimly lit path. The cobbled walkway paired with the pace of her own two feet left a soft patter in her wake, and she nearly turned as if to face some attacker with which followed her through the shadows, if it had not been for her knowledge that the very sound was emitted by herself. To know what her parents would think if they knew what she'd come out here for...Yet the punishment would have been nothing compared to what she'd endured for the last year. Only now, as she slipped away into the night like a cat lost to the forever murmur and beconings of the trees, she found herself just as willingly letting the night engulf her in all of its wonder, even if her goal was not for freedom, but for something more, something precious and intimate she had longed for, but lost to time.

       Eventually, her attention veered from the main path as she trailed her way through the trees, her stride slow, stepping purposefully and carefully. The trail she took had clearly been one that little dared to trek, overrun by weeds and brambles, footsteps long gone and washed away by the summer rains and winter snows. There was only one trail of feet, and when she stepped forwards, her own fit perfectly over those of dust and stone.

       A rustle alarmed her, her ear twitching as she turned towards the brush and undergrowth, tensing until the seemingly strangers revealed themselves to be two familiar faces. While her relief was prominent, it was also subtle compared to the immense importance of the task at hand, and she simply turned away as the pair took their places by her side, remaining silent just as she had been. The boy by her side fidgeted with the steel handle of an old worn lantern, handling it carefully as his gaze remained to the ground beneath their feet. Amity pulled her cloak around herself a little tighter, as if it could protect her from any watchful eyes, like it were the only means of a mask to shield her emotions from all those who sought them. Deep down, it still felt like her very soul was being ripped out from deep within her, and mangled by the memories that haunted her. Despite her newly found companionship, the memories still tasted bitter and fresh on her tongue, replaying in her tired mind as if they were that of only yesterday.

       They finally came forwards into a small clearing, the space anything but well kept, making the path behind them look cleaner than crystal. The surrounding area, the trees, the ground, all of it was unkempt, with weeds and vines crawling across every surface they came into contact with, whether dead or alive. Amity's eyes traced forwards, the gentle light of the lantern casting a softly golden hue upon a plack of stone. She felt a shudder run through her, as if she were about to break out into spasms brought by loss and pain. She stifled a sob, feeling a gentle hand come to rest on her cloaked shoulder, yet little comfort came from the warmth of her friend's touch. She could barely bring herself to let her gaze trace past the words and to the figure that it stood before, and yet while she tried, she could only force herself to stare at two stone feet before she turned away, crying in anguish as she finally let her emotions slip through the cracks. She struggled to choke back the tears she could feel them pressing at her eyes, and Willow's hesitant hand traced away from her. Reclaiming a grip upon herself, she opened her eyes and accepted the offered hands of the witches, both standing a little ways behind the statue, forcing herself to inch closer to the frozen stone.

       The night seemed to fall silent, and the moon beamed down upon them as she could feel strength running through her, cool and refreshing despite her anguish. Their eyes fell shut, yet she could still picture the scene perfectly as if she were watching overhead from upon the moon itself. Soon a soft whisper parted her lips, her ears twitching as she picked up two equally confused, frightened, and determined voices slowly joining hers. What started as a hushed tone grew into a chant that filled the night air, light dancing off of their skin as she felt their shared magic mingle with the moonlight in her veins, urging her to let her voice raise past the treetops into the star speckled sky. She pushed all her sorrow, her pain, and her longing into her voice, pleading to the very moon and sky themselves to give her this moment, even if that was all it ever amounted to. There was too much left unsaid, too much undone, too many regrets for her to ever count, as vast as the sea and as immeasurable as the stars within the darkened sky. Her hope was a flame that no sun could ever dream to match, as was her love. It had grown cold, and saddened, yet it was hers nonetheless, and she refused to let her heart forget it.

       It was as if she could sense something of change stirring in the air, and as she felt two hands slip away, she almost reached out for them, longing for something to tether her down as she grappled with her own fear. As she let her eyes flicker open, she trembled before the figure before her.

       She watched as light danced across skin turned to stone, watched as the vines shied away wherever the magic spread, and finally, as the connection between the three broke, and the magic was pulled into the cold body, she watched the figure before her sturr. Slowly, steadily, surely, the familiar figure knelt down, pulling herself forwards as she seated herself upon her own pedestal. Amity's heart fluttered in a miasma of emotion and helplessness, unable to believe the sight before her as she let slip a shuddering gasp, her eyes tracing up to a face she had longed to look into for so, so long.

       She gripped the edges of the concrete pedestal, tears stinging her golden gaze and tracing across her pale face as familiar hands slowly reached to her, one tracing her soft lavender hair out of her face, and the other gently caressing her cheek with a smoothened palm. The stone was cold, yet the emotion hidden beneath it was anything but that. She finally broke when her eyes met ones turned gray and solid, yet there was a warmth and a sadness in the gaze that seemed to pull her very heart and soul closer. She let herself sob, burying her face into the girl's cool stone chest, letting smooth arms wrap around her in a tight yet gentle embrace. She could feel a saddened kiss placed on her head, followed by another. How long she had longed for this touch which she could never find. The hours had seemed endless, but now that it was finally hers, everything seemed to be worth it.

       "I missed you lemon drop..." Luz whispered gently into the girl's ear, her voice soft, and tired as if worn down by the time she'd been stuck standing alone. "I'm so sorry..."

       Their love could only be shared for the night, and yet they both knew that no matter what happened, they would both hold onto it as the last piece of light in their lives, until the numbered days came to pass and the night could be theirs to share once more...

       Let this be a warning to all the wild witches. Never let go of those you love, and never, never give in to the dark.

AAAAAAAAAAAND THAAAAAAAAAAATS AAAAAAAALL!! WHOO!! Woooow, its been a while since I had the inspiration to write! My heart wanted angst, so I let it have it! This is actually based on a fan comic (linked below~), but I did change a fair amount to keep it from being too similar? Anyways, I hoped you liked it, even though its....really sad... QwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP3SkAaCyU