(1) Packing

Daphne packed her trunk to the brim. It had a large 'MT' on it, and her name 'Daphne Hope' panted onto the side. She wore her blouse, orange tunic, and skirt. She thought about how to trick Mam'zelle with her new Trick Booklets that June gave her.

June was a former pupil at Malory Towers and a former games captain. She coached Daffy, and she became as good as any third-former, possibly any fourth! Unfortunately, Daffy always played the fool and often ended up in trouble.

 A voice shouted from the corridor.

 "DAFFY!" yelled her sister, Sally. She was also a former student that attended Malory Towers, about twelve years older. She worked as a teacher, and she loved every moment of it. When Daphne was born, she was jealous. She thought that all the love and attention that her mother gave to her went to Daffy, but when she fell ill at school, she visited her after the surgery. After that incident, Sally's jealousy vanished in an instant.

"Come down! Mother's yelled her head off in the last five minutes!" Daffy rushed downstairs and into the kitchen, hoping that she wouldn't get a scolding.

"Darling, what happened?" Mrs Hope said. "I was calling you."

"Sorry, I was distracted," She answered, sitting down. "Alright, dear, but please, next time, answer me when I am calling you, ok?"

"Yes Mother." Daffy replied meekly. She started to eat her breakfast when Sally asked something.

"Is your friend Katie coming this term?"

"No, she sent me a letter yesterday that I read today. It said that she has whooping cough."

"Poor Katie, being sick and in quarantine." Mrs Hope replied. She looked at the clock.

"Oh, darlings, we have to go in ten minutes. Sally, get the car ready and remember to bring the map. Daphne, put your health certificate in your night case and help father put your trunk in your car."

Ten minutes later, Sally was in the car with Daffy next to her. Her mother was waving at them, and she was waving back. The engine started, and they were off.