(2) Journey to Malory Towers

Sally and Daphne walked onto the platform. Then, a crowd of girls swarmed them both.

"Daffy! Did you read that letter?"

"Are you going to trick anyone this term?"

"Hey I left you that trick booklet!"

Miss Potts, their form mistress, noticed this and walked over to help.

"Girls, Girls!" She raised her voice. "Please let dear Daphne and her sister get through?" The girls heard this and dispersed. They didn't want to risk getting ticked off!

As Daffy entered the train, there was the usual scuffle of seats. You can hear the girls left, right and centre about who wants to have the window seat and who can sit where and where not.

"Hey, Daffy!" Someone yelled. Daffy looked up and saw Edith, Faith and Ivy waving at her. She smiled, and she walked over there to greet them.

"How was the Hols?" Edith asked.

"It was good," Daffy answered. "Unfortunately, Katie got down yesterday that she had whooping cough."

"Bad luck Daffy," Ivy replied.

Then the train whistle blew. As usual, everyone had the scramble for the remaining seats.

"See you Sally!" Daffy yelled. "I'll write to you!" Sally waved back at her, and daffy sat back.

The journey was a long but exciting one. Lunch got given on the train, and so was tea. At first, the girls were all chatty, but as time wore on, they became quieter. Some of the girls even fell asleep. Other girls shared and gave out sweets. The train stopped at a station, and the girls got onto the coaches, carrying their night bag. They were all a lot more lively now, and they started to chatter.

"Are there any new girls?" Edith asked.

"I'm a new girl." A girl spoke. It was quiet and soft. Everyone turned to a shy-looking girl. She had pale, downturned eyes that were a paled-turquoise colour, with dull, ginger hair. There was also a pair of brown glasses that sat on her nose.

"I'm Glinda Tanny."

"Wait," Daphne interrupted. "Are you a sister of a girl - what's her name? Oh yes, Magnificent - who got expelled in her first term as sport's captain?" She paused. "My sister told me that she got expelled because she had an awful temper, and she had pushed and went for this girl's legs, almost unmercifully, and was close to drowning her?"

"Oh," Glinda replied. "I'm her..."

"Her?" a girl said.

"Daughter..." She looked down as she said that. They digested this information. Although it was half-expected, they felt sorry for Glinda.

Then a girl yelled in excitement. Some others pointed at the great building on the lovely Cornwall cliff, where the distant waves splashed along the rocky bottom.

Everyone was glad to be back, and they couldn't wait for the term to begin!