Chapter 4

We were split up into 3 groups. Peacemaker was with Adebayo, Vigilante was with Harcourt, and I somehow got stuck in the van with Economos. I watched the monitors, ignoring the small talk Economos was trying to make with me.

After a bit, we heard shouting and gunshots over the comms. Everything seemed fine until we heard growling and crashing.

"Harcourt, do you copy?" Economos said into his comm. "Vigilante?"

When he didn't get a response, I grabbed the chainsaw Vigilante had earlier and ran into the building to help. Of course, Economos was trying to stop me but hesitantly followed me anyways, grabbing a stray piece of metal off the ground like that might actually help. We followed the sounds of the growling and we finally stumbled upon a gorilla.

I revved the chainsaw and stuck it in the gorilla's back, slicing it up the center. Blood sprayed all over my face. The gorilla collapsed and everyone was stunned at what just happened. Vigilante ripped his mask off.

"That was so hot," he said to me, practically drooling. I smirked.

"That was fucking awesome, man," Peacemaker said to me, blood all over him too. He must've been closer to the gorilla than I thought. He high-fived me.

After Vigilante stopped drooling, he ran over to me, pulled me into his arms, and kissed me like his life depended on it. His tongue swiped at my lip and entered my mouth. We heard everyone groan in disgust.

"Y'all are nasty," Adebayo said and fake gagged.

Back in the van, I was sitting next to Economos with Vigilante across from me. We were listening to 11th Street Kids by Hanoi Rocks again.

"You fucking killed a gorilla with a chainsaw, man!" Peacemaker said to me, very impressed.

"Who the fuck does that?" Economos said from beside me.

"She fucking does," Peacemaker haigh-fived me again.

"Maybe the next gorilla...?" Vigilante started to say, obviously wishing he was the one who killed it.

"If we find another butterfly gorilla, he's all yours," I winked at him. He smiled and a small blush spread across his cheeks.

At HQ, we were all trying to process what the fuck just happened.

"We defeated a gorilla!" Adebayo exclaimed.

"Technically, I think it was a super gorilla, since we pulled a butterfly out of its brain," Economos interjected.

" Definitely a super gorilla," Peacemaker said. "The last time I fought a gorilla was at Burning Man four years ago."

"Do I even want to know?" I asked him. He made a face indicating that I, in fact, do not want to know what happened.

"So," Harcourt started. "We think this means butterflies can use any life form as a host."

"Chihuahua?" Vigilante asked immediately.

I smacked my forehead, expecting nothing less from him. "It probably wouldn't fit."

"Would be cool though," he said, chuckling.

"That wouldn't be cool at all," Harcourt said. "Why would that be cool?"

"You tell me."

"It wouldn't."

"There's your answer," he said matter-of-factly. Harcourt rolled her eyes and sighed at him.

Later that night, I was sitting in my apartment watching tv by myself since Adrian was at work. I heard my phone sitting on the coffee table in front me go off. I picked it up and saw I had a message from a group called 11th Street Kids. Slightly confused, I opened it to see it was Harcourt who had started a group chat with the team. My phone went off again. This time, a picture appeared in the chat. I couldn't help but smile. It was a candid picture of all of us, minus Harcourt, in the van, laughing our asses off. I saved it to my camera roll and sent a few glitter heart emojis. My phone went off a few more times with everyone else's response. Of course, Adrian sent a merman emoji. It was his favorite.