Chapter 6

We had just seen the news. The cops are after Peacemaker for things he wrote about in his diary, though he is adamant he does not keep one. Adrian went to the bathroom Peacemaker was in to check in on him, I just stood in the doorframe of the room we previously occupied to observe them.

"Dude, we gotta get the fuck out of here. That guy on TV, he's supposed to be the guy watching our backs," Peacemaker said, storming out and walking down the hall.

Adrian followed. I stayed put. I couldn't hear exactly what they were saying but I can tell they were bickering, as usual. I was perfectly content until the two of them came back in a panic with a duffle bag of helmets. Judomaster had escaped.

I followed them down to the main office to get ready to go.

"The diary's fake?" I asked Peacemaker, not really believing him.

"Of course it's fake," he said, annoyed. "If i was gonna write a diary, it wouldn't be a diary, it'd be a fucking journal."

"Well, I would read anything you wrote, dude," Adrian said to him. "I bet you could do some bomb poetry."

"Dude, I thought you said you didn't write a diary," Economos said, walking in the room.

Of course, Peacemaker had to start an argument with him. He always had to yell at Economos for something. We moved the argument to another room where Peacemaker started packing some guns.

"Where are you going?" Economos asked.

"The three of us might as well get this done before they find us," Peacemaker told him.

"To kill this fucking cow," he said, cocking a gun.

"We are? Cool!" Adrian said, raising his hand for a high five to me. A stared at his excited expression for a second before giving in. He picked up a gun bag next to him and we followed Peacemaker out the door, Eagly right behind us.

Economos decided to join us after all, he was driving the van, Peacemaker at his side. Vigilante and I were occupying opposing benches in the back. The two of us were putting some guns together while he and Peacemaker were jamming to In My Dreams. Even Eagly joined them. At least until something hit the van and it flipped on its side. The gun case Vigilante was working out of tumbled into my face, knocking me out for what felt like a split second. When I came to, Vigilante had already gotten me sitting up with my arm around his shoulder.

"Oh, good, you're awake," he said to me, I could hear the smile on his face.

I touched my hand to my throbbing head. When I pulled it back to look, there was some blood. I winced. "What happened?"

"You got hit in the head with a gun case. Knocked you out for a few seconds."

I was relieved to hear it was a few seconds after all. Vigilante proceeded to haul me the rest of the way on my feet, arm still around his shoulder. As soon as we got up, something was tearing a hole through the floor.

"Dad?" Peacemaker asked.

"Oh fuck," Vigilante and I said simultaneously.

"What are you doing?" Peacemaker asked him again.

His dad shot at him with some sort of laser from his arms and we all jumped to the floor to avoid it. Vigilante, of course ever the best friend, grabbed a gun from nearby and started shooting at Peacemaker's dad. This distracted him enough. Economos helped me back up, and he, Peacemaker and I went out through the roof.