Chapter 4

Eli wakes everyone up early the next morning. After a quick breakfast consisting of rabbit stew with bread, Eli directs everyone out the door. Ben is still groggy, not happy to be moving around. "You couldn't have let us sleep a bit longer? We had a pretty shitty day yesterday, " says Ben. Scott elbows Ben in the side, "Ben, language, " he says. "Oh save it, Mom isn't here to stop me anymore," says Ben. 

          "So, it's still not necessary," says Scott.

            "Every fucking day is shitty, doesn't mean you can lag behind, " says Eli from the front. Ben huffs annoyingly, making a sour face at Eli. Rose manages a small laugh. She adjusts her shirt. Eli had given her one of his shirts, since hers was so mutilated, her breasts were practically out. She felt safe in his shirt, close to him. "Eli where are we headed?," asks Rose. They walk a few more minutes before he answers. "Up there," he says.

          They head up a steep hill, and soon they make it to the top. The others join Eli as they look out over the eroded area. There, in front of them is a city. The tall, almost ancient structures stand. Vegetation and vines have overtaken the buildings now, and the elements have done they're own work on it. The buildings get bigger as you get closer to the big city, neighborhoods and small buildings circle the city. "Whoa," says Scott in amazement. Ben looks on as a small laugh leaves his mouth. "Holy hell…. I haven't seen a city this close in years," he says.

          Rose lets the sight of the buildings sink in, as haunting memories threaten to enter her mind. The cities were hit the hardest when the Wave hit, since they were heavily populated, the virus spread far more quickly than any other place. Before long, Chicago,  New York, Los Angeles, and other major cities were lost. Now, no one dared to enter a city.

        But, Rose knows Eli all too well, and judging from the calm look on his face, she already knows what he wants to do. "Please…. Please tell me you aren't thinking what I think you're thinking, " says Rose. Eli glances at her, then looks towards the city again. "The best supplies are still hidden in the city, if you know where to look," says Eli calmly. 

         Ben and Scott turn to him, "Wait, you want to go into the city?! You're crazy!!," says Ben. Rose shakes her head ,"You've always taken unnecessary risks Eli, what the fuck?," she says. Eli doesn't acknowledge either comment, he just cracks his neck, and unsheaths his two swords. "Stay close,  and be quiet, the Seekers are concentrated in the deeper parts of the city," he explains, "We're staying near the outer streets." Eli gives Rose a look she knows all to well, the "Try to keep up" Look, then jumps down the hill, sliding for the buildings.

     "He's actually serious," says Scott.

     "He's going to get us killed Rose," says Ben. Rose walks forward, "Come on," she says before jumping down after Eli. Ben and Scott jump down as well. The group walks quickly and quietly. Scott uses the plants to listen for danger. Eli takes the lead, walking fast and silent. From what Rose can see, he's done this many times. "I don't like this, " says Ben.

        "Relax, the outskirts are completely deserted for the most part, only a few Seekers are out here, " says Eli, " It's in the inner city where we'll need to be most on guard."  Rose tries to force the throbbing out of her chest, the uneasiness boiling hot in her lungs. She had only been in a city once or twice since the Wave, and both times she along with her group were almost killed.

          They walk for about two hours, with a few breaks in between, before they stopped at a store. Eli tells everyone to stay outside, before walking in. He's gone far longer than Rose is comfortable with, before he comes back. "It's clear, let's move," says Eli. Rose and the brothers walk in.