nine

➶︎ LIES, LIES, LIES !

EVANGELINE WAS WORRIED. Yet, she brushed off the feeling. Her nightmares happen often, yet nothing ever really happens. These things, said a healer that she confided in, may have happened because of trauma. So, as usual, she thought of it as nothing.

Though, she may or may not have put the details of her dream in her notebook.

Okay, so maybe it did bother her a bit, but she has come to terms that at the end of the day, these things are just plain stupid and it changes nothing in her life in the present, nor change anything in the future. She'd also just rather not think about these dreams, because these dreams were always so random yet feels so real, as if it was warning her about something. And, in a way, the unknown is always much scarier than the known.

"What happened, Evie?" Asked Theodore, brows furrowed; concerned at how stiff she was ever since this morning.

"Nothing," She lied.

He knew she did. She knew he knew she did. The way he looked at her tells her. It tells so much more, actually.

She sighed, knowing that her fiancé was too stubborn to let it go; but she was also too stubborn to let him know the truth.

"Do you regret it? -being in an engagement with me, I mean." She excused, but luckily; he took it.

"Why would you ask that? Of course I don't-you are my best choice, I would never regret it."

Right. This was how it had been. This was how it always had been. How could she forget?

This was the truth. Theodore's liking for her was not genuine. It may be real, but its cause had never been innocent. It was a sense of duty-a sense of selfishness that the Notts had. It was the reason Evie should never let down her walls for him. The charming smiles and reassurances has always been for themselves. To make sure they got the best, to make sure it was to get them to be best. Why else had Theodore Nott Sr. let his only son's last name to change into Black? Why else had Theodore wasted his time to stick to her-to please her though his pride was on the line? Because the Blacks were most powerful. Most noble. It was their best choice.

And what if Black had not been on top? What if Parkinson, Sewlyn, or-Merlin knows even Bulstrode had been their best choice? The heiress knows full well that the head of Nott would never had put him beside her.

She knows Theodore likes the idea of true love. Oh how she knows it well. But this was how he worked-this was how most Pureblood families worked. It was the want of being in love that made him think like this, act like this-hell l, even love like this. It was the fear of not being in the perfect picture that made him delude and convince himself that he is in love with her.

He's not. But she's also afraid of what would happen if the words 'I love you' were all fake this whole time. And so she smiles. She smiles, and she pretends that they're in love. She lets his small actions get to her-let her heart flutter in temporary butterflies.

"Okay." She smiled, letting the lie sink in as the truth.

DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS ended horribly. It was safe to say that no one liked the new teacher, Dolores Umbridge, though the prejudiced Gryffindors might say otherwise. She was foul, to saw the least. And my my, did Harry Potter do a lot to complement that adjective.

Evangeline didn't really care anyways. She wasn't good at DADA in the first place, which was incredibly fitting when seeing her family's history. She was fine with theory-she did best in theory when it comes to the subject, actually.

"Did you hear?" Snickered a boy to his friend as Evie was about to walk past him, "Apparently, the reason the Notts finally got permission for the Federal Law of Magical Oak Wood was because Nott jr. was able to sneak his way in between Black's legs."

The other boy laughed, "Fitting for him, isn't it? He had no talent anyways; he must have begged for her to help his family like a dog."

Evangeline stopped walking. Her platforms turning a 180° to the boys who didn't seem to notice her presence-seeing as they kept talking shamelessly.

"It seems people these days grow to be like what they talk of; how fitting of you both," Remarked Evie.

The boys stopped walking too, finally noticing the heiress. While the first boy was in shock, and retreated in fear for blabbering his mouth, the second boy just smirked.

"Oh cmon Black, we all know it's the truth. Say, do you want me to do the same as him, hm? You don't look half as bad, and I can promise to show you how to have fun for once," The Hufflepuff smirked, ruffling his hair.

Evangeline was seething internally.

"It seems you do not understand who you are speaking to, Adams," She spoke in a tone that commanded respect, "I am the head of Black, heiress of not only both the Black and Leàttiea fortune, but also of Lestrange's. I am of the second class of the Order of Merlin and head of the WULS under order of the Minister. Your father is only a worker under Sewlyn's office-another family I have close connections with. Do you think that you can take accountability not only for not respecting me as a person, but also the House of Black and House of Nott?"

( For those of you who do not understand the political things:
1. She got the Lestrange fortune because Bellatrix is in Azkaban for life, but she shares it with Narcissa Malfoy. It should actually only go to Narcissa, but she had already became a Malfoy by then-and so since the Lestranges had no other family, it went to the Blacks.
2. The WULS means Wizarding Underground Legal System, which is basically where Evangeline works at in the Ministry. Her job is to make sure the underground, which is something like a Black Market (illegal market), continue to work in harmony. Not many in the Wizarding community knows there is an underground area, everyone just thinks that the WULS creates new laws from time to time, which makes it better for her because then she doesn't get much publicity. Of course, Evangeline also uses this as an advantage to get information and create an illegal information guild-one that the Ministry does not know of. )

The boy called Adams gulped, not saying anything more as he just looks down in fear.

Satisfied, the heiress turns, leaving to her next class.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Haha I'm back! And if you thought that just
because this story's not a slow burn we'd have
no miscommunication, you're wrong!

Oh and for those of you who still
thinks that Theo genuinely likes her,
you're right and wrong :D

Love miscommunication /j i hate it but
I was feeling angsty 👍

Aaaaaanyways, who's your
favorite Greek deity?