In Light of Tomorrow 🍂

Type: Hurt/comfort

Warnings: none

---------

It had been more than a typical afternoon for Espresso, who had been hard at work practicing new spells and concocting fresh formulas. Espresso was feeling pretty good about today, having made substantial progress as well as feeling more energetic than usual. Of course, as a reward for such significant progress, Espresso must reward himself by only working harder. To not take advantage of his streak would be foolish and counterproductive.

Espresso was abruptly stunned from his work upon catching ear of the familiar click that indicated his laboratory door opening. He was sure it was his boyfriend, Madeleine, making another nonsensical visitation. It was only logical to assume, as Madeleine was the only other person who had a set of keys to his lab space. So unless that idiot had lost them (which Espresso wouldn't put past him, really), it was undoubtedly Madeleine. But Espresso had no time for nonsense today. He loved his boyfriend, surely, but there were times when work took precedence over silliness.

"Not now, Maddie," said Espresso, eyes unmoving from the chalkboard he'd been mulling in front of for the past twenty minutes. Expresso had thought that that was that; nothing more, nothing less. Yet he found that another minute ticked by without a response from the other. Typically, Madeleine would respect this boundary of Espresso's under the condition that Espresso wasn't harming himself from lack of a life essential. And when Madeleine respected it, Madeleine would typically peck Espresso on the cheek and mutter a loving but somewhat sullen goodbye. Though, again, that hadn't happened. This prompted Espresso to set his chalk down on the chalkboard tray turned around.

Madeleine was standing there, as expected, but appeared somewhat off. He was looking off to the side and playing with the ends of his sleeves in silence. Espresso was a bit confused at first. At first, he didn't understand. With scientific calculations, Espresso was always precisely on point. Though with facial expressions and emotions, he was often far off the mark with his estimates. All he could recognize was that Madeleine was in no way acting like himself. Not wanting to assume incorrectly and play the wrong move, he stepped towards Madeleine ever-so-tentatively and placed his thin hand against Madeleine's cold cheek.

Espresso, for a moment, only stared, his mind searching for words to spew. "Madelle? Are you feeling well?" Espresso internally grimaced. He wanted to smack himself. He could've done better than that and yet, he just didn't know how.

Madeleine, to return the moment Espresso had taken, was silent for a moment. He clenched his fists to his sides, his body trembling. After a few seconds of nothing he at last opened his mouth, to which ended in him hiccuping on a half-sob.

Espresso's visage softened, now beginning to comprehend just what this was. He understood now that something had upset his lover and that Madeleine must be here seeking solace. "What is it?" he began to coax. "You can tell me anything you like."

"No," Madeleine interrupted, overlapping his hand with Espresso's only to push the softness of Espresso's palm away. "You're busy, aren't you?"

It was true, yes, and Espresso almost told him so. But before he spoke so mindlessly, he mentally took a few steps back. Words were hard, especially when you feel as though anything you say could destroy the person in front of you. He wouldn't wish for Madeleine to feel guilty, no? "Not anymore," Espresso replied.

"You told me to respect your boundaries. I want to be good to you, Espresso."

"I have told you, I am no longer busy."

Madeleine only sighed, shaking his head and making his way to the couch in the corner of Espresso's lab. Once there, he sat down and buried his face into his hands, breathing loudly and unsteadily.