16 - Is SHE is a child or an adult ? (Part - 1 )

Let's Continue

Let's Continue...

Virat & entire Chavans were watching the TV show. The flash cards describing the topic & theme were presented in the program.

~~~~~~ 📺 🔛~~~~~~

Group Discussion

Topic: Raising the age of marriage for women from 18 to 21 years – Pros & Cons

⭐️

Theme:

The Government of India proposed to increase the minimum legal age of marriage for woman from 18 to 21 years.

⭐️

Background:
(For the benefit of readers)

At present, the minimum legal age of marriage for women is 18 years and for men, it's 21 years.

Previously in 1978, the Indian Government increased the minimum legal age for marriage for women from 15 to 18 years, and for men from 18 to 21 years.

The proposal was approved by the Union Cabinet. The next step is amending the concerned laws through Parliament.

If passed, various personal and faith-based laws which govern marriages in India now, including
The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955,
the Special Marriage Act, 1954, and the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006,
will have to be amended.

In simple words, once it becomes a law, it will override all the personal laws. So, the legal age of marriage will be increased for all females irrespective of their religion from 18 to 21 years of age.

Like every Bill that goes through rigorous Acceptance and Opposition in terms of perspectives, even this Bill attracts different perspectives.

⭐️

Moderator invites Mr. Sanjay Kumar to summarise and also his points highlighting the 'Cons' of the Bill.