38. Carl 2.0

I've got determination in my steps as I make my way toward a familiar blonde. She's busy stuffing boxes into the back of her vehicle when I approach and slam my hand against the back window to gain her attention. She gasps, stepping away from the backend, wide eyes swinging to meet mine.

"I always had my suspicions that it was you," I tell her, crossing my arms and leaning against the door.

Cassandra's demeanor relaxes, a bored expression clouding the worry behind her eyes.

"Suspicions about what?"

I smile, sliding my finger over the dirty rubber seal that lines the window. "That you were Seth's stalker."

Her jaw clenches, but she doesn't respond.

"I kept telling myself that you were innocent, just a lovesick, Seth-obsessed person," I explain, watching her closely as she shifts from one foot to the other. "But you freakin' slapped me and that's when I realized you were a little bit more dangerous than I assumed..." I pause, analyzing her expression, but she remains stony. "Dangerous enough to stalk Seth—literally following him from one town to the next."

"Yeah right," she laughs, rolling her eyes as she resumes shoving boxes into the backend. "Why would I do something like that? Yes, I liked Seth... enough to do whatever needed to be done to make him see me, but I'm not a stalker."

"Are you sure?" I ask, taking a step toward her. "Because I'm one-hundred-percent sure I've seen this exact SUV in some really strange places. Waiting in parking lots for him to leave my dorm, hovering outside his uncle's house just before the police show up to raid the place. Any chance you were responsible for making that call?"

"Really?" she chuckles, a breath leaving her lungs with the sound. "That's your proof? You realize this is not a unique car, right? Just glance around this parking lot; I'm sure you'd find a few more."

"Yeah," I nod in agreement, "that's what I thought too... until I realized that yours has a red streak of paint on the front bumper and a cracked headlight, probably from a prior accident. I'm not always the most observant person, but I'm not stupid either. Just fess up already! Maybe admitting your guilt will help you feel less crazy."

"Why bother!" she hisses, shoving in the last box and slamming the backend. "Your boyfriend already got the police involved. Why do you think I'm packing up all my crap!"

My mind flips, caught on her words. "Seth talked to you?"

"Oh yeah," she laughs, but it reeks with bitterness. "He kindly told me to keep my distance."

"And you actually listened?" I balk, amused.

"Um yeah," she says, eyeing me like I'm the moron in this conversation. "when someone files a restraining order against you, it makes sense to adhere to it."

My mind is swirling. Seth, my Seth, actually stood up for himself. He went so far as to alert authorities. I can feel pride swelling beneath my ribs, forcing my lips to spread into a goofy grin.

"Wow," I breathe.

"Yeah," she nods, crossing her arms. For a moment her defenses drop and the kind girl I'd first met in the coffee shops emerges. "It's crazy, right? I guess sometimes the ugly girls really do win."

My fingers ache to reach up and slap her smug face, but I know I'd regret stooping to her level. So instead, I shake out my fists and force a smile. "Yeah, it really is crazy." I step away from her SUV, letting my eyes really take in the girl in front of me. I know I should feel pity for her. She's just a confused, jealous mess of a human, but she's also a royal pain in the butt. The way she plays these games is sick, and the fact that she shows no remorse for it is disturbing.