Chapter 2

I packed everything. Except the food. I am a fabulous cook, so I got to plan the meals at the lake. Then we'll pick the food up on our way out of town.

Finally, the day came when we met at Paige's house (not the lake one) and headed to her other house (the lake one). We stopped to pick up the food at a local Hy-vee. Once that was done, we sped through the medium-length drive to the lake house.

We arrived arround 3:45 pm. We got unpacked and started on dinner. Tonight, I planned on having grilled hambergers and brats.

E: Hey Alex, will you help me grill the bergers and brats?
A: Sure.

Paige always wanted to help.

P: What can I do Emma?
E: Hmmmm... You can get the table set, the sides and toppings on plates and bowls, and could you start on dessert?
P: Sure! Justin will you help me?
J: Sure.

Justin and Paige stayed inside and did the tasks I asked them to while Alex went outside to start the grill. I put the meat on plates and carried them outside.

In less than an hour, the dessert was cooling on the counter while we ate. We silently ate except for a few compliments about my cooking. A while later, Paige cleared her throat. We all looked up and saw that something was wrong.

P: Guys, this is my last summer with you guys.
E: No it's not. We have senior year still! You can't leave me!!

Everyone stared at me.

E: Er... I mean us!!!
P: I have to. My dad is being transfered to France.
E: But... We were gunna go to prom.

Alex held my hand for encouragement and confidence.

J: *whispers*I'll miss you so much.

I looked over at Justin. I hadn't noticed, but he started crying. I felt so bad for him. I hugged Alex, thankful that I still had him next to me.

E: Looks like we will need to make this summer count. Who's with me?