Chapter 6

It felt like the whole world crashed down on my head at that very moment. I grabbed the car keys.

E: Ella we gotta go. Alex is in the hospital.
El: Really?
E: Yes! I have to grab some stuff on our way too, so hurry up.

We got in the car and took off. I sped my way over to the bakery and grabbed Alex a bouquet of cookies. I got one that said speedy recovery on a flower and had eight turtles surrounding the flower. I then went to the local florist and picked up a dozen red roses. Finally, we went to the hospital.

I texted Paige. She and Justin were already there so she could tell me wher to go. She told me to go to room number 306. We ran to the elevator.

El: So... what happened to Alex?
E: I don't know but it can't be good.

There was silence all the way to Alex's room.

Once there, Paige greeted is in the hallway.

P: Hey.
E: Hi
P: He's in there. They only allow 3 people at a time...
El: I can stay out here.

She walked to a chair on the opposite side of the hallway.

I walked into the room quietly. Once inside, I looked at the hospital bed and, sure enough, there he was. Alex was so still and silent that I thought he was dead. I started to cry.

I must have made it obvious because Paige came over and told me that everything will be alright. That he will wake up. Finally, I got the courage to talk again and told the sleeping Alex what I brought for him as I set it down on the window sill. I turned to Paige and Justin.

E: Please tell me what happened.
P: Well, Alex was in the outfield and Justin was pitching. Then the battr came and hit the ball right into Alex's face. He then fell, out like a light. Hasn't woken up since.

I looked at Justin to see his response but he just looked sad, because he lost his best friend.

I looked at Alex. He was so still. I didn't know if he'd wake up, so I held his hand. Maybe it would give him the strength to get back to me. I don't know, I guess only time will tell.